Author Topic: Nice Brass Sideplate  (Read 1726 times)

Offline ajcraig

• Starting Member
Nice Brass Sideplate
« on: April 18, 2020, 01:45:18 AM »
I picked up this nice brass sideplate as a study piece.  I particularly like the treatment at the tail that makes the leaves looked like they are curled over.  I'm guessing that this sideplate started as a flat brass casting and was made via cutting, filing, chasing, engraving and polishing.  I welcome any other thoughts on how this sideplate was made. Also, I'm guessing this sideplate came from a pistol - it measures just 3 1/2" in length and the holes are only 2 3/8" center to center. All comments welcome.
Cheers, Alex

Offline ajcraig

• Starting Member
Re: Nice Brass Sideplate
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 02:59:52 AM »
I forgot to add that this sideplate was part of a collection that was found in Adamstown PA, about halfway between Lititz and Reading.  Would anyone know if this design would be appropriate (scaled up) for a 1750-1770 American fowler?
Cheers, Alex

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 04:05:55 AM »
English 1760-70? Sand cast then burnished. Could be a colonial American copy too.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline ajcraig

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 05:46:42 PM »
Burnished! Many thanks, I'll give it a try.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 12:19:32 AM »
Hi Alex,
Mike pretty well described the process although on higher grade work, details would be cut and edges cleaned up with gravers and chisels.  Emory powders were often used for polishing with pencil sticks dipped in oil and finally burnishing.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 04:58:34 PM »
That was a nice sideplate, was watching it on Ebay!  Good one to emulate for sure - the other lacked the flow and detail of this one.  Everyone else summed it up - and SmartDog's tutorial nailed it.  A pattern was often carved from strong tight-grained wood, or chiseled from metal, then cast as shown in the photos.  Burnishing after all is said and done will give it a gleaming polish. 
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline ajcraig

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 02:39:05 AM »
smart dog: Many thanks for these great pictures, very helpful to understand how the side plate was made. I wonder if there are other sideplates extant that were made from the same pattern.  And, many thanks for your fowler tutorial - excellent reading - I'm using it as a reference on a Chambers fowler that I'm making. 

Eric: Yes it is a nice little sideplate - lots to learn from studying it under magnification!

Cheers, Alex

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 03:14:09 AM »
Hi Alex,
Yes, I believe I've seen quite a few side plate virtually identical to yours. The silversmiths often repeated the same designs, which is why casting them was so useful.  They could easily repeat them if they had the model.  With iron and steel side plates, I believe they had to cut and chisel those.  I am not sure they cast them like brass, paktong, silver, and gold.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 09:44:23 AM »
nice