Author Topic: W L McNeese maker ?  (Read 1822 times)

Offline cable

W L McNeese maker ?
« on: April 19, 2020, 02:18:00 AM »
a few years ago, I got this in an auction for low amount, it was mixed with a lot of other items and would not  hold on half cock, so not sure anyone but me bid....anyway, I just bid 500$ for the heck of it, and got it.  last year there was a national auction with some fine contemporary muzzle loaders, and the description on two of them said they had been made for WL McNeese....any one know of him?
this rifle has a 42" swamped 50 cal barrel, with very slim lines, and really looks as though it has hardly been used.  it is inscribed with his name on the barrel and the date feb 1, 1988 and No 2 or maybe twenty something.  just curious.  here are some pics:

the color is a bit too red for my taste, but since I wasn't even seriously bidding , I cant complain very much.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 07:56:19 AM by cable »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: W L McNeese maker ?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 05:31:36 AM »
I feel sure it's one of Wayne McNeese's rifles. Wayne lived here in VA but his wife died and I think he had some health problems and moved away. He is a KRA member but I have lost touch with him.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline cable

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 07:14:06 AM »
I am glad he is still around.  you hold a piece in your hand, and of course you have to wonder who this was, that signed it. 

his work may not be up to the levels that we often see here, but still it is a very slender, well balanced rifle.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 04:51:12 PM »
I am glad he is still around.  you hold a piece in your hand, and of course you have to wonder who this was, that signed it. 

his work may not be up to the levels that we often see here, but still it is a very slender, well balanced rifle.
The name is very familiar. It's actually a pretty pleasant rifle. 10X better than some stuff I see posted on here.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline cable

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 09:17:04 PM »

The name is very familiar. It's actually a pretty pleasant rifle. 10X better than some stuff I see posted on here.

thanks!  at the price,  it was a bargain, i suspect the parts would be a lot more than that.   i have learned enough here to see that the workmanship and design elements are not like many others work, especially not yours.  one day, i need to get one of yours, i am not sure that  i will be totally happy with anything less !

this one has nice lines overall, and should do well in the field.

Offline vanu

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 02:52:12 AM »
Wayne was a significant figure in antique Bowie knife circles as well as powder horns and tomahawks. Several years ago, after Dorathea passed, Wayne liquidated his collections through Julia's and Poulins both Maine auction houses. Wayne has since moved back to Tennessee with his daughter I believe.

Wayne made a dozen rifles or so, mostly for friends, really liked antiques best though, at one time he had a very nice select group of 19th century East Tennessee rifles.

Not responsive to email and the old cell number is disconnected so not sure how to reach him.

Quite a gentleman, I hope he is well.

Bruce

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 03:01:16 AM »
It’s a great looking gun, with really cool architecture. For $500 that gun would stay in my collection. Nice catch.

Offline cable

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 03:31:48 AM »
that Poulin auction is where I saw his name. 

thanks all, good to hear who he is and I am certain I will not part with it.  I think I will take it hunting !