General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

which nipple to buy

(1/4) > >>

rudyc:
Hello,

I just purchased a W&C Scott double barrel percussion shotgun.

The nipples are both in need of replacement.  I believe I will need 1/4-28 for the replacements.  They both came out without a problem and the threads look fine.

My questions are  these: Whats the difference between the stainless & the Ampco models, and which ones should I order?

Thanks,

rudyc

roundball:
Of the 2-3 different brands I've tried I found the 1/4" x 28 "Hot-Shot" nipples to be outstanding and I standardized on them.
I don't actually know what company make them...I think they first came out being marketed by Michael's of Oregon, and when they got out of the muzzleloading loine of business, many other firms started carrying them...usually selling them under their own label like T/C, Traditions, Remington, etc...

T*O*F:
Nipples come in different profiles.  Some have longer or shorter tubes, same with the threaded area.  You should try to match the profile of the nipples that came out of the gun.  It is best that the nipple screws in so it's bolster is tight on the flattened portion of the breech.

Roger B:
First, I would make sure that the nipple seats have not been enlarged & recut sometime in the modern life of the shotgun.  A previous owner/shooter may have had to do this if the original nipples were frozen.  If the nipples are oversize to fit recut seats, Track of the Wolf usually has oversize nipples in stock.  I was once highly enamoured with the Uncle Mikes hotshot nipples but have found that they are pretty soft & tend to flatten out more quickly than others.  Ampco nipples are made of a bronze alloy that tends to be pretty tough.  Find some that fit & enjoy the Scott.
Roger B.

rudyc:
I don't think the threads have been messed with,  a standard T/C  1/4-28 nipple threads in and out just fine.  I'm just not sure if there are different length nipples and if so, which one will be correct.  Also, what are the differences between the stainless and the Ampco??  I'm thinking the Ampco ones are tougher?

rudyc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version