Author Topic: Checkering a Hammer?  (Read 2214 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Checkering a Hammer?
« on: April 20, 2020, 12:21:31 AM »
Well hello guys and gals, Smokey here. This is the hammer on my Ohio rifle:

Smooth as the south end of a bullfrog. I’ve had my thumb slip a few times out in the field especially when sweaty. I’d like to checker it or make some lines in it so my thumb don’t slip no more.

There’s already a place where the browning has worn back. Hoping I wouldn’t have to rebrown the part if I do this. Anyone have any recommendations? I’ve never built a gun or attempted checkering or making lines. Any tips, tricks, ideas would be extremely appreciated so I don’t bungle it.

-Smokey

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Checkering a Hammer?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 12:40:52 AM »
Hi,
If it is not hardened, a checkering file from Brownell's will do the job.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 12:47:21 AM »
Or, you can engrave it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 12:55:20 AM »
If the hammer has been case hardened, it will have to be annealed down...best as you can.  I doubt it has been, though.  If it is soft, serrations could be filed onto the hammer spur with reasonable ease with good, sharp cornered three-square files.  Might not be perfectly even, but functional.  A checkering file is an expensive tool, and good for laying out the fine serrations on a modern pistol sight or other such things. It won't cut fully on its own, but it starts your cuts and gets them evenly spaced....which may not work all that well on such a curved surface anyway.   I would not recommend getting the checkering file solely for this operation (I'm not sure it would be very advantageous to have at all anyway).  It just takes a keen eye, and a steady hand.

Serrations would probably be sufficient, but actual checkering could be done by filing again lengthwise, over the crossways serrations.  Not so easy, but can be done.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline JPK

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 07:02:14 AM »
This hammer is similar to yours and with the checkering file I laid the pattern on then used a three corner file to point them up. It went well enough for my needs. I recommend removing the hammer from the lock so you can get the best angles to work on it. I case hardened it after wards of coarse.

IMG_0548 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 07:23:50 AM »
I bought a Brownell's chequering file in the 70's and have used it dozens of times since.  To my mind, well worth the investment.  But even with the file, I use a safe sided triangular file to clean up the borders.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 07:44:31 AM »
Taylor, how many lines per inch is your checkering file?

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 07:13:30 PM »
I'll have to have a look...don't know.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 07:48:19 PM »
I might suggest a thread restoring file.  Much cheaper than Brownells and has 8 different thread pitches on it.  Will do the same job for this purpose.

https://www.grainger.com/product/3MD29?cm_mmc=PPC:+MSN+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!10!8973609251!1102900008997&ef_id=Xp3RxQAABErbCbRP:20200420164557:s
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 07:22:54 AM »
Good idea on the thread restoring file Dave!
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Jerry

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 12:10:47 AM »
Smokyplainsman, send it to me and I’ll engrave it. Jerry

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 08:12:12 PM »
I tried the thread. Restoring file with poor results and used the cricketing file only.

Bob roller

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 02:04:53 PM »
For some years I have used my jewelers  saw to checker percussion hammers
The trick is to get a good layout and take your time . I guess I could have purchased
And used a checker ing file but I already had some experience with the jewelers saw

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 07:19:18 PM »
I checked my file.  It is a #1...40 lines per inch.  My 2012-13 Brownell's catalogue lists it at $51.99.
D. Taylor Sapergia