Author Topic: Brass-barreled American fowler/musket at Schoharie Old Stone Fort  (Read 9492 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
I visited the Schoharie, NY, Old Stone Fort Museum last week while visiting family.  They have one display of 1730-1770 guns that was very interesting to me.  Among these is a brass-barreled musket of English styling and American stocking, apparently.  Here are some photos.  Sorry I did not get a full-length view.  These are just snapshots through the glass.  The gun is now percussion and has been converted to half-stock.  I could not see the lock side.  Interesting gun; very nice shell carving at the tang.  It’s about 12 ga, I am guessing, probably 46-48” octagon to round barrel with a rear sight that is quite nice.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 04:59:27 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Brass-barreled American fowler/musket at Schoharie Old Stone Fort
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 02:09:51 AM »
Rich
Very cool :) :) :) I will be up there this fall gotta check that out.Thanks alot for posting!!

Mitch

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 06:06:46 AM »
Wow, what a neat gun.  I stopped by there many years ago, don't recall seeing anything  like that...............Don

Ephraim

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 06:46:26 AM »
How common do you think brass or bronze barrel guns were? Were they made for sea service for use along the coast because of the salt air?
Ephraim

Offline Collector

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 06:59:04 AM »
Earl Lanning asked that once.  I've only seen one, back in the mid-90's.  It was a musket, made in the US, styled after a Bess and the barrel had Dutch hallmarks.  It was for sale in Long Island, NY together with a riflemans knife and a beautiful War of 1812 Commission for a NY Company.  The claim was that they were found together in the wall of an old home, on the north shore, during renovations. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 05:29:54 PM »
Long Island gun I'll bet. Wood under rib?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:30:24 PM »
Wow, what a neat gun.  I stopped by there many years ago, don't recall seeing anything  like that...............Don

I need John to make me a barrel like that!  Talked to him briefly at Dixon's, which is a whirlwind- put a bug in his ear for me.  Naval bronze would be fine.
Andover, Vermont

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »
Long Island gun I'll bet. Wood under rib?

yep, wood under-rib.  I was thinking this was a modification after the gun was percussed.  Think it might be originally halfstock?  How would you date it?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Collector

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 07:48:24 PM »
Rich Pierce,  The forearm looks, to me, to have just a bit of a swell at the rear pipe.  What says the photographer?   ???

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 08:31:32 PM »
I think so but it is subtle compared to a Bess.  My wife Susan took a video of the gun, sweeping along it and I'll double check that tonight.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Collector

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 01:50:51 AM »
Mike, What makes you think it's a Long Island gun?  Just curious...  ???  Never thought of Long Island as being a 'gun making' center, so's to speak and I'm not sure that I'd recognize a Long Island gun if it was the only thing in an otherwise empty room, in a building, on Long Island!  :P

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 07:30:14 AM »
I think many of the British style fowlers were made in the Long Island area which was also a great spot for waterfowling long ago.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »
Mike, What makes you think it's a Long Island gun?  Just curious...  ???  Never thought of Long Island as being a 'gun making' center, so's to speak and I'm not sure that I'd recognize a Long Island gun if it was the only thing in an otherwise empty room, in a building, on Long Island!  :P
Check out Glenslade's book. Other than the brass barrel and 1/2 stock this is a dead ringer for a Long Island gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Collector

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 07:24:58 PM »
Mike, I'll definitely have to get that book.  Rich, Interesting element, British style in NY.  I'd pretty much accepted that the British style influence in firearms stocking was predominately a 'southern' states feature v. a 'northern' states feature.  Not that a northern gunsmith wouldn't or couldn't do that style of work, as evidenced by the John Newcomer piece, formerly misidentified or attributed to 'Bullard,' just that it more of an anomaly than a recognized/regional design feature.  Now, I REALLY need to get that book.   

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 07:50:32 PM »
Apparently NYC was a place where English culture flourished from mid-18th century more than Germanic- the Dutch moved up the Hudson pretty early on.  That book, Grinsdale, is an eye-popper.  Nobody is making those British styled fowlers but they are terrific and would be a rich vein for a high-end builder to work.
Andover, Vermont

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 09:21:02 PM »
Is there a book on American smooths that I have overlooked, or are we talking about Tom Grinslade's recent landmark book?
Dick

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 01:14:13 AM »
Grinsdale, "British-styled fowlers" section.  This one is plainer in some aspects and perhaps later than some he featured.  I saw no sign of carving on the underside of the buttstock.
Andover, Vermont

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2022, 05:01:01 PM »
Yesterday I got to handle it. A couple more close-ups.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Otto

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2022, 05:24:14 PM »
English influence pretty apparent. A nice old piece and who isn't impressed with a brass barrel?

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2022, 01:36:41 AM »
I've seen two brass barreled rifles . Oddly enough,both were at the Princeton long rifle show . They were owned by two  different  people at the time, one was Vince Nolt. That rifle is pictured in  Henry Kauffman's book " The Pennsylvania  Kentucky Rifle' page 162. It also had a brass lock plate. It had a very artistic patch box with a  name on the  lid Ludwig Paul  1841.  I think Vince wanted seven or eight thousand at the time.   I was very interested at the time but lacking funds. Some one else bought it.
JIM

Offline Telgan

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2022, 02:20:31 PM »
Mornin Rich - Is there a full length photo of this gun? Sometimes it's easier for me to appreciate architecture if I can see the whole thing. Tom

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2022, 02:35:18 PM »
Hi Rich,
The brass hardware looks like typical Ketland export stuff from the 18th century.  Did you see "Timothy Murphy's" double barreled rifle? ::)

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2022, 03:19:46 PM »
Hi Rich,
The brass hardware looks like typical Ketland export stuff from the 18th century.  Did you see "Timothy Murphy's" double barreled rifle? ::)

dave
They were keen to show me the wender but I declined.  ::)
Andover, Vermont

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2022, 03:21:46 PM »
Mornin Rich - Is there a full length photo of this gun? Sometimes it's easier for me to appreciate architecture if I can see the whole thing. Tom

I’ll look. Might have something.
I’m thinking it was made a half stock when percussed. Nice job though.
Andover, Vermont

Offline 45-110

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2022, 08:46:12 PM »
I would like to know how the barrel was fabricated? Did they cast a thick wall pipe, then ream? Seems the whole process would be technically difficult to say the least. Seems a lot of follow up lathe work would be needed too.
kw