Author Topic: A Bridger Hawken Close Copy- my LAST!  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Herb

A Bridger Hawken Close Copy- my LAST!
« on: April 22, 2020, 08:54:25 PM »
It is last because it is too big and heavy for me.  But I wanted to build the closest copy I could.  It is correct in all dimensions to Jim's rifle.  The barrel is from Oregon Barrel Company, 33 1/8" long, 1 1/8" straight, 7 lands with a 1 in 48" twist.  I filed the muzzle like the original and can thumb start a patched ball half way into the muzzle.  The bottom rifle is my first copy with a shorter GRRW barrel.  It has been shot probably a couple thousand rounds by now.

I shot it from bench at 50 yards starting on the bottom target with 50 grains (weight corrected measures) of Goex 3F, .530 Hornadys, and .018/.010 (crushed) pink linen, which was too tight, though all fired patches were good.  Velocity averaged 1311 with 72 fps spread.  I guess I was learning how to shoot this rifle, it will group this load well, will try it again.

Top left was next, 100 grains of Olde Eynsford 2F and .018/.008 patches, of which three blew out.  Velocity for four was 1888 fps, 39 spread.

Top right, 100 grains of O.E. 1 1/2F and .016/.009 linen, all fired patches good.  Velocity was 1852/23 fps and the group was 1.25 inches.  I had a damp cleaning patch on the seater jag, otherwise no wiping.

I need to file the front sight .040 inch to raise the group three inches for a 100 yard zero.  The rear sight is Track's "Jim Bridger's rear sight", #RS-KC-18, which is .290 above the barrel at the notch.  Jim's is .335 and my handmade first Bridger sight is .315 high.

There was discussion here in the past about a 48" twist being too fast for heavy load accuracy.  I found these two loads gave higher velocity than the 1-60 twist GRRW barrel of my first Bridger.  That barrel is 2" shorter, but that would not make much difference.  With it, 7 groups of 30 shots of 100 grains w/m of  Olde Eynsford 2F averaged 1782 fps with 41 fps spread.  The 48" twist gave 1888/39 fps, 106 fps more.

In the GRRW 1-60, ten groups of 53 shots of 100 grains of O.E. 1 1/2F averaged 1760/60 fps.  The 48" twist gave 1852/23 fps, 92 fps more.
Herb

Offline smylee grouch

Re: A Bridger Hawken Close Copy- my LAST!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 09:08:47 PM »
Nice job as usual Herb. Looks like that 1&1/2f load grouped about the best.

Offline msellers

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 09:12:12 PM »
Herb,
Couldn't agree more on a beautiful gun, and shoot well to boot. Maybe one day I will have me a genuine Hawken gun.
Mike

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 09:24:37 PM »
Beautiful Herb. That’s the next to next gun on my list. Gorgeous.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 05:00:19 AM »
Good jopb, Herb - good shooting too. It doesn't get any easier with the passage of time.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 05:22:17 AM »
Love what you did with the finish.

Contrary to popular belief, most Hawkens had plain, straight-grained maple (for best strength) and were finished dark. I am having Brant Selb make me a Hawken right now and specified I’d like such a finish. No, it won’t look quite as pretty as the curly ones, but it will be like an original and that is what matters to me.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:21:37 AM by Smokey Plainsman »

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 06:50:02 AM »
Love what you did with the finish.

Me too, Herb!  Nice ambiance on that rifle.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline alacran

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 02:32:36 PM »
Herb that is a very nice rifle. I admire you dedication to the Hawken rifle. You are an avid student and create thoughtful interpretations of said rifles.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline prairieofthedog

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 05:26:41 PM »
Nice job Herb!

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 06:33:37 PM »
I enjoy your posts and your work Herb,
Rob

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 08:13:24 PM »
I'm pleased to see another one of your Hawken rifles Herb.  No disappointment here either...nice rifle.  What does it weigh, please?  The nicest balancing Hawken rifle I have ever shouldered was made by my friend Gary Mummery in Kimberly, BC, and it had a .54 cal parallel 1 1/8" @ 30" long and a 13 1/2" lop.  But that was forty years ago, so my idea of weight and balance may have changed since then.
Nice copy of an iconic rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Herb

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 10:13:18 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  It should weigh the same as the original Bridger, 11 1/4 pounds.  I got the semi-inlet stock from Knob Mountain, wanting plain hard maple, but this is the only one he had, $245.  That took a lot of whittling!  Have ordered a stock from Pecatonica, inlet for barrel and rod hole only, and that is to be plain hard maple for another Carson, my favorite rifle.
Herb

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 11:39:49 PM »
Herb thank you very much for sharing this rifle and the shooting results. Im very interested in filing the muzzle as you have described on my next build. Being able to thumb seat a ball and move straight to seating with a ramrod is really appealing for hunting and woods walking in particular. Any tips as far as the muzzle filing goes ? Thank you

Zack

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 12:07:30 AM »
Would like to see a picture of the muzzle. thanks Dick

Offline Herb

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 07:32:16 AM »
Best way to get easy seating of the ball is to use a .526 size instead of .530.  That way you can use a heavier patch, or have easier seating with a thin patch that holds together.  Here is the Bridger muzzle and next a J&S Hawken muzzle in the museum at Helena, MT that shows the feature better. 

Then how I "coned" my muzzle about 3/8" deep with that bolt head in a drill and abrasive to erase the lands to an even depth.  Next the grooves were filed back in, but I need to do some more to pretty them up like the Hawkens.

There are seven lands and grooves in the Oregon barrel, though it looks like six.

With the patches I used, I still had to use a short starter.  I have some Hornady .520 balls, but I don't think they are still available.  GRRW used .526 balls, maybe Eddie May might make them.  I might not shoot enough more to need to buy a .526 mold.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 07:35:59 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 06:32:13 PM »
Thanks very much Herb for taking the time to post the pics and description !

Zack