Author Topic: Need help with ID not sure if this is original or considered contemporary  (Read 1412 times)

Offline mountainman

« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 11:13:16 PM by mountainman »

Offline mountainman

A friend of mine stopped in with this gun he wants to make it functional and it looks very good no rust or anything It would almost seem like it's a target rifle so yeah if you could help I'd appreciate it...

Online Bob Roller

Nothing contemporary about it.It is a target rifle and possibly a WW2 bring back..Spell that name on the barrel.Let's see the inside of the
lock if possible and I think the triggers may be the type made by watchmakers with all kinds of levers and springs and pins the size of needles.Looks like it's in fine condition.
Bob Roller

Offline mountainman

"R. Pfenninger a Stäfa," is what it says on the barrel in script. The lock is engraved R. Pf. a. Säfa
I had the lock apart but I forgot to take a picture of it, it did not have a fly on the tumbler. Since the owner went back home with it ,he may chime in.
He was hoping he could get it functional there seem to be a little issue with the double set trigger not enough strengths to push the sear, and the front lock bolt was stripped from the threads.
It had a bore size of 62 caliber with a very fast twist rifling, at least faster than that of a round ball.

Offline mountainman

So it would almost appear it comes from a province within Switzerland.
https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St%C3%A4fa
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 01:54:28 AM by mountainman »

Offline com9mac

• Starting Member

Offline com9mac

• Starting Member
Hopefully I've supplied sufficient photos. Fell free to ask for more. So far, we gather it's a target rifle, .62cal. Stafa is in Switzerland. Pfenninger sounds German to me, but I guess could be Swiss. Looks to me like a Schuetzen. Idk if that is strictly applied to German rifles or it's more of a generic term or maybe Swedes made them too. Any enlightenment would be appreciated. Sure would love to shoot it if someone can help me out (see mountainman's reply).

Online Bob Roller

Made in the German speaking section of Switzerland.That lock mechanism is similar to many I have made and mine ll had a "fly"
That trigger looks like the type that must be set so the lock can be cocked.That wire front trigger should activate a release of
some kind that may need a flushing with solvent,maybe lacquer thinner.Big bore and fast twist and a multigrooved barrel is an
interesting combination.Load it light,patch it tight would apply to this one.The gun looks heavy.Have you weighed it to see what it weighs.
The Swiss have a long history of firearms ownership and back up their neutrality with it.About 40 years ago I made some Ketland flint locks for a woman in Switzerland to equip a team with.Five locks to use and one for reserve.I wonder what happened to that idea.
Bob Roller

Offline com9mac

• Starting Member
I will give it a thorough bath in some solvent in a few days as suggested. TY. Will post results. Hopefully, that's all it needs, if not, however, Bob, would you consider looking at it for me?

Online Bob Roller

I hope the solvent will help that trigger. I do NO gunsmithing on anything and am spending less and less time in the shop. no locks being made by me and only a few triggers if I feel like making them.There may be someone on this forum that can help with that trigger.
Bob Roller

Offline jruff5585

Mabey this will help

Offline Feltwad

Looks very much like a Swiss militaria snipers rifle known has a Canton rifle
Feltwad

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
A friend of mine stopped in with this gun he wants to make it functional and it looks very good no rust or anything It would almost seem like it's a target rifle so yeah if you could help I'd appreciate it...

Its a dedicated Schuetzen rifle. Unless its long and very heavy. Has the more complex triggers as Bob indicates for an extremely light let off.
Its very unlikely it shot anything but a round ball. The Europeans were known for fast twists. Rifling form is not unusual. Needs a heavy patch and a good starter.
He needs a gunsmith WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING to look at the lockwork and triggers if cleaning does not work. Could soak the triggers in something like Seafoam from the auto parts store. Diesel fuel is another option.  It should remove the goo that I am sure its afflicted with. Then wash trigger and lock with brake cleaner to remove all the solvent. Then VERY lightly oil with some GOOD synthetic oil like 0-20 or 5-30 motor oil. Use a toothpick to apply just a little at points where part meet, slides or rotates. Don’t want oil soaking into the wood.
I would debreech and look at the bore but again you need someone who knows how to do this without hurting anything.
Nice old rifle.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline mountainman

Thanks all for information on this interesting rifle.
 #1 The reason I asked if it was original or contemporary was, " If it was contemporary  that it may be a chance that you can get new parts for it by the maker, Or someone who has the parts!
 # 2 If not, then we make parts if needed!
the gun does need new lock bolts as the threads are stripped, which could partly be the reason why it does not fire the lock ( it's a weak click ) the tiny spring that holds the front trigger forward does not seem to have any strength in it as for holding it forward!
I am not a machinist, least I don't have all those fancy milling machines and lathes to make parts, most what I have is hand tools! I do use a few power tools like a bandsaw and sander, and drills.
Those lockbolts have an unusual head, I did look through my supply of blank lockbolts and none were long enough to go through that thick stock, I did found that a 10/32 thread will fit in the lockplate on the rear side, the front is of a different diameter more like a 8/32 but it still had some grip, about half worn.
So I would think some of these minor issues could be fixed with the right tools and materials, and go from there!
It would likely be a great shooting rifle, but sure is heavy to carry in the woods, didn't weigh it but feels like 15 pounds!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Offline Feltwad

Images of a Canton Rifle
Feltwad

upload pic

Offline RAT

I've never restored an original rifle... so take this with that in mind...

Rather than making a new lock bolt, you could plug the existing hole, then re-drill the hole and tap it with an appropriate sized tap. You can cut fresh matching threads on the existing bolt.
Bob

Offline com9mac

• Starting Member
It took the advice of cleaning the triggers. Soaked them in carburetor cleaner and was able to get them functional again.  I can get the main trigger to set now and release, however, it is not releasing with enough force to actuate the seer. I feel mountain man is on to something with the spring he mentioned for sure, but I don't think it's the only problem . Could be a factor of wear on the parts that catch and release the triggers additionally.  Anybody have a parts diagram for percussion double triggers and locks so that I may explain things in proper terms?