Author Topic: Jacob earnest  (Read 924 times)

Offline Shive62

• Starting Member
Jacob earnest
« on: October 31, 2022, 10:06:00 PM »
Hello
I recently acquired what is believed to be a Jacob earnest rifle? Any information would be appreciated thanks shive62

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Jacob earnest
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 10:53:23 PM »
There is alot of information published about Earnest.  My favorite story is of his relative Indian Eve.  I only live a few miles from where his shop was located and his rifles
rarely surface, but he did some great work.  Gunsmiths of Western PA book by Dr. Whisker has a good bit of info on him.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 02:32:37 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shive62

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 12:35:22 AM »
Thanks for the information. I located this rifle in southern Ohio. Will try to purchase the book.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 05:46:48 AM »
Please post some photos if possible. We would love to see your rifle.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Shive62

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 03:25:02 PM »

Offline jltskfl

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 09:55:23 PM »
Hello.

I currently reside in Jacob Earnest's house in Delmont, PA.  I'd like to someday have one of his rifles displayed in the house.  If you ever decide one day to sell, can you please notify me?  Or, if anyone else ever comes across one, let me know?  Thanks.  -John

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 01:16:53 AM »
Is the rifle's barrel signed or initialed? From what I see in your posted photos, while it may be an Earnest, it has some details that don't seem consistent with Jacob's work; 1) side facings with flattened rear end, 2) patchbox hinge that extends across the full width of patchbox instead of just across the lid, 3) patchbox engraving that seems less polished than Jacob Earnst's work; single trigger and larger flattened area at base of cheekpiece.

Again, you may have a late Jacob Earnest rifle where he modified some of his earlier details. However, it would be worth checking the source listed on the tag to see what rifle they are basing their attribution on, to make sure it's a solid attribution.

Shelby Gallien

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 02:44:02 AM »
Is the cheekpiece star made of silver with a coat of shellac over it?  It appears silver around the edges where the wear is.  Anyway, every example I have seen of his
work had a sideplate that stepped in and narrowed the last half inch or so toward the muzzle.  The sideplate panels usually terminated in a point toward the butt and this does not.
Since the tag says PA or Ohio, I assume it is not signed.  Hard to tell from your photos, but I would say more research is warranted.  The triggerguard is his overall shape,
but he usually filed facets in them.  I would say regionally, you are in the right area.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shive62

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 02:50:11 AM »
Thanks for all the information. I’m not a collector and am not sure who could have made the rifle, but it’s very old and who knows what was done or how it was made over 100 years ago. I’m gonna have fun shooting it. And original rifle s are hard to find. So I’m going to take it to the range tomorrow and make some smoke!!! Will let you know how it shoots.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 03:28:46 AM »
What is the connection between Jacob and Adam Earnest if any ?