Author Topic: Lock Repurposing (Maybe??)  (Read 1741 times)

Offline JLSawyer

Lock Repurposing (Maybe??)
« on: April 23, 2020, 02:35:17 PM »
Hello All,

I have this small Bailes/Manton style lock that was matched up to a 42” straight 13/16” barrel on a Tennessee mountain rifle that was in very poor condition and I got fairly cheap. I’m using it as a parts gun for a future project. I don’t want to make another TMR or any other type of southern style rifle and would prefer to stick to a Pennsylvania school East of the Susquehanna. That being the case the only parts I’m hoping to use are the lock and barrel. The lock was made by W.L Cochran in 1984 and the back is marked as such.

My question is...can this lock be used on a Pennsylvania style rifle. Possibly a post 1800 Bucks County? Please forgive my ignorance here. I’m new to all of this and I don’t have Shumway’s RCA to reference. Any help and guidance is much appreciated.

Best Regards, 

Josh Sawyer

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Lock Repurposing (Maybe??)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 07:41:04 PM »
Seems like it would cost more to get that one to function than to buy a proper lock.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 07:49:23 PM »
Between the rough condition of the lock, and the parts availability, I would not use it on a gun I intended to shoot a lot.

Hungry Horse

Offline JLSawyer

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 07:50:24 PM »
Seems like it would cost more to get that one to function than to buy a proper lock.

Dane,

I have the lock partially disassembled. All the parts are there they just need to be cleaned up and put back together. It worked fine prior to taking it apart. I’m more concerned about the style. If experienced builders here would avoid using it in favor of something else like a Siler or late Ketland. I’d like to stay within historical parameters as much as possible.

Thanks for the reply.
Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 08:29:36 PM »
As far as I know, Bucks Co. rifles used Germanic locks.
There is always an exception to the rule.  Find photos of originals to answer the question of suitability.
It also seems kinda small for a Bucks profile as well.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 01:53:40 AM »
in rifles of colonial america vol 1 page 260  no 62 a bucks county rifle by george  weiker shows a lock very similar to the one you ask about. on yours the the cock is broader and less graceful as is the jaw screw.  i'm not as knowledgeable as most here but in my opinion it would work fine with a little modification.  also in your hand the lock looks about the size of a large siler which is about right though i think the size of the barrel breech has more to do with the size lock to use.  does it not?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:17:20 AM by mark esterly »
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 02:29:01 AM »
Bucks Co. makers used a lot of English trade locks.  There are as many or more with English style locks than Germanic locks.  Your lock would be fine on one if it works well and you are willing to take the risk of not being able to get replacement parts without a lot of screwing around. 

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 05:07:36 AM »
Hi Josh,

If you want the rust removed, get some Evapo-Rust.  It works like magic.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline alacran

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 03:56:05 PM »
That lock would be fine on a post 1800's gun. It is good to learn that you have all the parts. I have one of those on a pistol I made. The original mainspring was replaced with a small Siler mainspring. The Cochran's mainspring were known to be short lived.  I like the lock very much as it is kind to flints. It does not have as much downward torque as a small Siler. The only drawback I find with the lock is that the sear is at a different position at each position of the cock.  If the lock plate on mine hadn't been engraved by my friend Charlie Maggard, I would have replaced all the internals to that of a small Siler.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 06:18:11 PM »
Here's a couple pictures of original George Weiker Bucks Co flintlocks.
The first is original flint. The second looks original, but might be a re-conversion.

John Robbins