Author Topic: cost of carving  (Read 2210 times)

JohnN

cost of carving
« on: April 24, 2020, 07:26:54 PM »
I am building a Track of the Wolf English Fowler kit. My carving skill are like comparing stick figures to DaVinci. What would be a ball park figure on some beavertails and a simple shell design near the tang ? Also, a ball park on some simple engraving on trigger guard, butt plate, entry thimble, and side plate ? Just looking for something to dress it up a little. Thanks.

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: cost of carving
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 10:32:01 PM »

My advise would be to pick a reputable builder and talk specifics.  Otherwise, it's like asking,  "How much does a car cost".
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 10:36:56 PM »
“Dress it up a little” is pretty labor intensive. Several hundred to do simple on a lock type intensive. $500 would probably get someone interested. That sort of thing. Put an ad in the for sale forum.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 11:17:24 PM »
Some makers would charge what there shop time costs are such as $50. 00 an hour for an example.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 09:40:48 AM »
My advise would be to spend it on a carving class with a good instructor and then carve your own.  That way you will be set for all future builds.  I have to follow my own advice for an engraving class yet but I had the best for carving. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »
You will get what you pay for. Many guys may take the job, but few will give satisfactory results.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 03:24:17 PM »
You will get what you pay for. Many guys may take the job, but few will give satisfactory results.

Isn’t that the truth.

JohnN

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 06:40:07 PM »
My advise would be to spend it on a carving class with a good instructor and then carve your own.  That way you will be set for all future builds.  I have to follow my own advice for an engraving class yet but I had the best for carving.
[/quote
This sounds like a good idea. Thanks.]

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 07:02:21 PM »
If a class isn't feasible for you and you'd like to learn, I'd suggest Mike Miller's video. It made carving look attainable-more than anything else I've seen. Note I've not done any yet. 

I'd rather do a marginal job myself than to "price shop it" and be disappointed. Practice on cheap wood and keep all sharps sharp if you do. Best of luck.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 07:16:34 PM »
Buy a parting tool, draw some lines and practice tapping the parting tool over the lines.  Once you get control, draw on your rifle.   If you can’t draw well,  have someone draw the the design.  Just don’t start cutting until you have the image as you want it.  If you are wanting simple designs,  you are in a perfect position to learn.  I always choose the hardest dang thing out there and get way over my head.  Just take your time.  If the beaver tails take you three weeks,  who cares.  I have a couple higher priced parting tools but this little one in the picture under $10 is nice.  It takes a while for it to arrive from Japan but it cuts well and in a lot of cases because of its small size it’s easier to control.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:23:22 PM by Mike Lyons »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 08:38:48 PM »
I’d not like to carve a gun someone else built. I’d need freedom to reshape the stock. Even then there could be issues.
Andover, Vermont

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 10:12:55 PM »
I would think anyone willing to do the job would be able to send pictures of their work, so you could determine whether it is the quality/style/etc that you're looking for.
Learning to do it yourself is a good option, if you're going to do more than one, or a few. Otherwise why waste the time learning something you're not going to use again?
Another thing to consider are the surfaces. Whether you, or the hired help are going to prep the surfaces for the carving and engraving? Smooth surfaces for the guy to just have at would be the best bet.

Why don't you post up a few pictures of the engraving detail you'd like. Same with the tang shell. Also, the area your at. You could ship the parts to engrave easily enough, but shipping the gun for carving is another matter.
John Robbins

JohnN

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 11:04:10 PM »
Ordered the Mike Miller video. Wish me luck.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 12:55:42 AM »
Ordered the Mike Miller video. Wish me luck.

You’ll be glad you did. Watch Bill Raby’s videos too. Practice on scraps. You’ll be surprises how quick you’ll be pleased with your work.