Author Topic: Long rifles on auction  (Read 5799 times)

cheyenne

Long rifles on auction
« on: August 08, 2009, 06:08:17 PM »
www.morphyauctions.com

Browse the current auction, on about page 22, they start with longrifles and horns, and other stuff.

Fordney and Beck rifles mixed in there. Some nice looking stuff, and some not so nice.

cheyenne

Re: Long rifles on auction
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 06:09:38 PM »
Sorry, open the upcoming auction, then browse to find the rifles.

Offline VP

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 03:36:01 AM »
Cheyenne,
Thanks for the heads up on the auction. I have never seen so many Kentucky rifles on one site. Lots of good lookin and downloading.

Top Jaw

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 05:06:04 AM »
OK.....Is it just me, or do all of the estimates seem ULTRA low for these horns and guns????  I know there is a 17% auctioneers premium (tax) added on top, but all these items should bring a whole lot more than the estimated values that are listed.  (I'd say some might be 4 or 5 times more to this casual observer).  If you can buy 4 screw-tip horns for $100-$200, or an incise-carved 1800-1820 circa Pennnsylvania rifle for $1200-$1600, I'll eat my hat and your hat along with it!!! 

What gives???  Are these low estimates just being used to bait in a larger crowd, or is the economy worse than I think??

Top Jaw

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 06:19:28 AM »
Buying anything sight unseen is chancy at best.  But I agree the price estimates are low.  If I had guns in there, I'd worry that the volume would affect prices negatively.  There's only so many bidders with so much money, and maybe if there were fewer guns they'd go for more.  I do expect bidding to pick up tomorrow.

Some collectors say that high priced, top-notch guns sell better and make more money for the collector.
Andover, Vermont

Offline lexington1

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 07:44:59 AM »
I guess I don't really understand how this thing works either. I bid on several of the guns. My bids are higher than their estimates but it shows that I have been outbid, yet it also shows that I am the high bidder  ???

FlintRock Rob

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 12:33:42 PM »
Oh man, did I just see over 200 muzzleloaders up for auction!?  :o
I am so glad I am flat broke right now.  >:(  Well, at least the catalog has some horns and bags to look at, just wish the photos were more detailed. :P

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 08:51:13 PM »
Lots of interesting guns, bet most sell way over those silly estimated prices.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 09:01:56 PM »
They're starting to heat up and I bet most good ones will be bought on the floor, not online.
Andover, Vermont

catchinzs

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 09:46:52 PM »
It would be cool if someone who knew our virtual library pretty well could grab info from the guns and create a page for those that we don't have listed already.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 10:54:40 PM »
It would be cool if someone who knew our virtual library pretty well could grab info from the guns and create a page for those that we don't have listed already.

This is a bad idea because we require the owner's permission to post rifles in the Museum Library.  Even if they are currently in the possession of the auction house we would need the permission of the auction winners.  We have been through this before and had to pull a rifle from our site.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

catchinzs

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 02:15:20 AM »
That would not be good.

The auction houses copyright only specifies:

"You can not use or make available any of that material for any commercial purpose."

I never thought about the eventual owner but it is a very good point.