Author Topic: Crazy Prices/Crazy Guns  (Read 11213 times)

Mercier

Re: Crazy Prices/Crazy Guns
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2020, 01:44:24 PM »
Thank you, I think it is magnificent. It took quite a few years of reading and looking to decide. 

Offline Joe Wood

• Starting Member
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2020, 09:16:49 PM »
I guess reality is striking home with me. Back in the eighties I had several of the top builders make rifles for me—Jud Brennan, Jerry Kirkland, Bob Harn, etc. While I never expected them to be investments I thought the market would always pay for top quality craftsmanship.  But time and changing preferences are proving me wrong. Buyers just don’t seem willing to pay for the highest quality, unique craftsmanship that requires years or decades of study and perfecting of hand skills. I think the kits available today have supplanted to a large extent the scratch built gun as a mainstay of the hobby. For instance, how many today are demanding a hand forged lock that has perfect geometry and sparks great when they can get a cnc lock today that functions just as well In all respects (though it will never have the “soul” of the handmade one). Guess I can’t blame the market. We live in changing times.

I’m seeing the same trend in the vintage side by side shotgun market. All are unique, hand built breechloaders the quality and craftsmanship we will never see again. But today’s buyers couldn’t care less. They just want something that looks similar and goes “bang”. As a result, the market has plummeted to the point I’ll probably just give most of them away. Oh well.....it was fun!

Here is my Jerry Kirkland copy of a great John Armstrong rifle (Emmitsburg school) with a little piggie that recently got in the way of my roundball. Absolute perfection in construction and interpretation of Armstrong’s work. Phenomenal stick of sugar maple.  No kit can ever come close to duplicating this level of craftsmanship but the market doesn’t care.

Cheek side of the Armstrong. The pie crust carving was a typical style on his finer rifles.  And he often inlayed in coin silver the oval on the cheek piece, engraved with the Federal Eagle holding an olive branch and arrows.  Tap or click on the photo to see a much clearer picture of the carving.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 05:11:17 AM by flintsteel »
The mark of a great hunter is that he truly loves the animal he pursues.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2020, 01:13:30 AM »
Flintsteel:  that is truly a beautifully made rifle and you are lucky to be the current curator.  It is my observation that there will always be a market for that kind of workmanship.  But you are unlikely to find a buyer at a flea market.  Most folks, as you have said, are tire kickers, and want you to lower your price.  The issue then isn't whether a buyer at the high end exists,...it's finding them!  There are many scratch builders on this site that regularly sell their best quality work for what it is worth.  These same builders can take a "kit gun" and turn it into something that resembles your Armstrong (Kirkland) rifle.  I myself confess to doing that when a client wants a nice carved, engraved, and inlaid rifle for less than a scratch built rifle costs.  This creates two happy people, ie: I the builder and he (she) the client.  I now build only for myself, and though I have a fairly long list of builds that I intend to complete before I 'go to my reward', I also intend to build Kibler's Classsic Longrifle.  I'm looking forward to it too.
My children and good wife should she outlive me, will have to deal with my collection though...I'm not in a hurry to part with anything in my stable...for any money.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Joe Wood

• Starting Member
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2020, 01:50:44 AM »
Taylor, thanks for the compliment of Kirklin’s work. He was good, in fact very good back in the eighties. I have been incredibly fortunate and blessed to have been able to commission these pieces back then. And I appreciate skilled, creative craftsmanship!  I have feebly attempted to build flinters myself and the poor results only made me admire those other craftsmen more. No way could I imagine  anyone trying to make a living wage doing that work!  The Brennan’s I own reflect his sheer genius of creativity that is so rare. And the Harn I now own reminds me of the great sense of humor he had. But that’s another story.

PS:  I’m not a newby to this site. I was one of the original posters when this board began then drifted away as my interests changed. Now I see I’m a beginner again. Oh well, at my age anything new is a real treat!  Started shooting muzzleloaders in ‘57 when all we had were originals. Those were the days.....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 01:56:14 AM by flintsteel »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2020, 07:53:49 PM »
flintsteel- your comment about starting shooting originals, reminded me of this picture, taken in Kalsipel Montana in the mid 50's, by my late
best friend Lester H.Hawkes. Most of the 'lads' 'n gal ( Irene Hawkes) are holding original rifles.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Joe Wood

• Starting Member
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2020, 12:21:22 AM »
What a great photos, Daryl. And great memories. We were about the same down here in Texas. Real odd balls but we had a lot of fun!  Oh, that was when we paid a dollar a pound for DuPont black powder that came in those oval screw top cans. Remember them?  Nicest original longrifle I’ve ever owned was a full stocked Ohio style percussion gun with a beautiful piece of maple, nine silver inlays, and a little carving. Darn good condition. Paid the ridiculously high price of $65.00 for it.......

Offline Daryl

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2020, 08:56:30 PM »
Paid the ridiculously high price of $65.00 for it.......

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, no matter what the price is. :D  Yes, I remember the oval Dupont powder cans
but only saw one or two in the possession of Les.  I met him in '72. He passed in '95.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2020, 09:24:02 PM »
Daryl, That is a heck of a framing job centering that photo.   :-D   Are you and Taylor in the photo? 

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2020, 01:57:22 PM »
Looking at Daryl's photo brings us to today. Every summer the Association of Ohio Longrifle Collectors hold a shoot for original Ohio rifles. Originals are desired but all comers are welcome. We feel that, considering condition, these old timers should be allowed to speak to us again.
Mark