Author Topic: "J * W" Rifle Grease Holes  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Burg

• Starting Member
"J * W" Rifle Grease Holes
« on: April 26, 2020, 04:22:34 PM »
Cades Cove Fiddler asked me to start a new thread on the "J * W" rifle I posted under the Grease Holes thread above so here it is.  This rifle information was posted as a comment to this thread posted in 2017: https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=42603.msg415698#msg415698
Unfortunately the photos could not be opened in this old post so I am including them here.  Both myself and Wormey were greatly influenced by Albert Helton who received this rifle from his Grandfather so please read both my and Worley's comments in this thread.  Thanks to Albert, Wormey and I have been lifelong friends. 

Please enjoy these pictures and feel free to ask questions.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 04:27:33 PM by Burg »

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: "J * W" Rifle Grease Holes
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 06:23:04 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D... Thanx, Burg.... photos of rifles like this start my day off right,.. !!!!.... she is an interesting rifle in so many other aspects other than those taller holes,... so much to admire about this one,...do you still have the other barrel,..?... I might have met you last year when Wormey gave me the nice old cap lock to use on my Ambrose Lawing marked barrel re-build,... was at a range over near Landrum,... I had a nice chat with him and 4 or 5 friends who were shooting that morning,.. thanx again for posting,... "Madest my day"....!!!.... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 03:46:33 AM »
What Dana sez. Much to see and like with this ol iron. I especially like the lock panels. Gives me ideas for 2 upcoming builds using Bailes and Egg flintlocks.
Thanks for sharing my friend. Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 04:26:03 AM »
Any idea who this “J*W” was? I have my ideas.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Burg

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 03:42:59 PM »
Sequatchie Rifle,  See my hot link referenced post in the Grease Holes thread.  "This rifle is a signed "J * W" rifle made by John Waisner Jr in Rowan county, NC probably sometime in the 1820's and never got very far from home.  See "North Carolina Schools of Longrifles 1765 - 1865" Rifle # 152 and #153."

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 11:07:06 PM »
John Waisner, Jr. was not born until 1808.  When he was orphaned in 1816, the Rowan County Court bound him as an apprentice to gunsmith Henry Bruner, III. He became a master gunsmith in 1829.

This is one of only four signed rifles I have seen by him.  The stock architecture on this rifle is not like the other three, which have Rowan school features,  while this rifle looks more Appalachian School.

The best example is owned by a family in Lincoln County.  It is signed on a silver plate on the barrel. It features a patchbox and nine silver inlays. It is relief carved. Kenneth Orr restored the rifle and was able to provide me photos which I published in my 2016 book, "The Longrifle Makers of the Rowan School.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 02:28:31 AM »
Sequatchie Rifle,  See my hot link referenced post in the Grease Holes thread.  "This rifle is a signed "J * W" rifle made by John Waisner Jr in Rowan county, NC probably sometime in the 1820's and never got very far from home.  See "North Carolina Schools of Longrifles 1765 - 1865" Rifle # 152 and #153."

I guess I should pay better attention in the future! Thanks!
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320