Author Topic: What is this ???? opinions please.  (Read 4395 times)

Offline alex e.

What is this ???? opinions please.
« on: August 05, 2009, 03:01:51 AM »
A friend of mine has been bidding on this,he is wondering exactly what it might be,As do I.
I have an idea or two, but would like others input.

Thanks in advance,Alex E.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=135485095
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: What is this ???? opinions please.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 03:44:18 AM »
Interesting gun: it has the appearance of a bucaneer type of 1700s French musket. It has a rounded lock place and hammer however which would be unusual if French. Condition is unusually fine, however.
Here is my take on it; likely origin is a Stoeger Arms, or Bannerman Arms, 'African' trade gun. If it is such, it is a well made piece, better than most, and it has a lot of appeal. Would make a good shooter, too.
I wish the seller had given better photos and more detail in the description to allow more analysis.
Best-Dick

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Yep, Made for the African trade. I have seen ads in magazines as late as the 1920's for these, so this one could be as late as that or later.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline TPH

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 04:00:28 PM »
Standard African trade musket, Stoeger's and others were still selling them in this country as late as the 1950s. Most were made using surplus military locks and other hardware. They are interesting but it is not British, it is likely Belgian made. Too bad they didn't show the proof marks on the barrel.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 04:00:49 PM by TPH »
T.P. Hern

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 11:49:43 PM »
Waaay back, 1960ish, my first 'kentucky' was a Stoeger 'Elephant' gun, and other than the 'stepped wrist', this is pretty much the same thing.
Well, other than mine was painted glorious red!
Pop bought me some black powder and I used to shoot the thing in the backyard, loaded with small pebbles! :o

John
John Robbins

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 03:14:51 AM »
The seller's description is about as clueless as it gets! But it is a Belgian made  African trade gun and without the proof marks, it's hard to be sure of the date. Wouldn't be surprised if Stoeger's did sell it though.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 04:16:42 AM »
Many thanks guys, My guess was a Belgian trade gun also.i was just off on my time period,I guessed late 1800's, 1900's did not really cross my mind.
Knowing my friend ,he'll want to shoot it now :) I'm sure he appreciates the input.
As do I.

Alex..
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 09:15:17 PM »
With a stock that straight it will kick hard because he'll have to squich his face down on it.
Andover, Vermont

Levy

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 09:34:25 PM »
I'm looking at a reprint of an 1911 ALFA catalogue (ARMS OF THE WORLD-1911) and a very similar buccaneer appears on page 285 with other muskets made for the African trade.

James Levy