Author Topic: Electronic scales  (Read 3273 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Electronic scales
« on: April 28, 2020, 11:48:24 PM »
Thinking to start weighing components. I know, it’s not historically correct lol so I expect some ribbing.

I see Hornady and Lyman electronic scales for around $40. I’m sure they are rebranded. Wha5 do you charge- or ball- weighers recommend among recent offerings?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Electronic scales
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 11:55:52 PM »
Rich, I use one from Frankford Arsenal, sold through Brownells.  It's a bit bigger than the Hornady I used to use, comes in a nice case with all the accouterments.  About $80, I recall.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline StevenV

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 12:06:37 AM »

Rich I’ve had this for over 20 years, excellent product and so is the support on their end. I weigh to within a .1 of a grain. Also if your really going to come over to the dark side you need to indicate the balls. I drill the tiniest hole in one of the mold half’s so as to leave a little tit . That way when you load they all get loaded the same. It goes on and on and on. Steve

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 12:07:05 AM »
Rich, I have a small pocket model by Lyman that has served me well for about 3-4 years now. I also have in the past had RCBS  and a few others that worked well until I overloaded the cell or some other problem that they all seemed to get and stop working. The Lyman was cheap enough that i I figured if I overloaded it, it wouldnt cost that much to replace.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 12:11:54 AM »
If you want to index your balls a spring loaded center punch will put a tinny diviot near the spru of one mold half then you will see that tinny blemish every time you load keeping the spru up and centered.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 01:23:55 AM »
Taylor and I both use Hornady electronic scales. Before that, I had a PACT scale that went bad after 6 years or so - I dropped it, my fault.
I also have RCBS and Redding beam scales and I use RCBS, Lyman and Redding powder measures, but not for BP.   
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 02:11:58 AM »
Here’s the one I use, I think it’s a Hornadys or made for Hornadys.

So far it has functioned well .

I think it came from Midway, $20 bucks or so.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 02:16:08 AM by John SMOthermon »
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline adam h

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 02:51:40 AM »
rich.
I use the rcbs rangemaster 750 from midwayusa
also use rcbs beam scale only ways up to 500gr.
adam

Offline snapper

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 04:13:10 AM »
I have/had 2 RCBS electronic scales.   My original one is still going strong, and I bought it used years ago.

5 years or so ago I bought a RCBS scale with a electronic powder measure.   The two pieces coupled together.   That scale shot craps after it was out of warranty.  RCBS said that they would not fix it at any price and they do not and will not sell another scale that I can use with the powder tickler.   That has not made me happy with RCBS products.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline recurve

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 05:56:14 AM »
I use a beam scale you have to level it but still going after 20 yrs, ;D

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 07:53:36 AM »
I've had bad luck with cheap digital scales. My RCBS beam scale has always been good to me, much better than the aggravating LEE scale. But, beam scales are slow. I now use a Lyman micro-touch digital (closer to $70 than $40)  for loading metallic cartridges. I have been quite happy with it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 05:23:28 PM »
I buy the cheapest dope scale I can find on eBay, I get about 10 years out of one and weigh a lot of stuff, mostly arrows and black powder loads.

I use this one, $9.95 shipped free.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 05:03:31 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 05:25:47 PM »
That’s dope, Eric!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 06:00:00 PM »
 IMO, the advantage you guys are looking for is at best minuscule, if it exists at all. A day at the range a week instead of being cooped up weighing your balls on a dope scale, will make your groups better. I went through all of this nonsense twenty five years ago, and wish I could get all that time spent back, so I could use it more efficiently.

Hungry Horse

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 06:49:05 PM »
In the end it seems it’s  all about keeping ourselves entertained, however we decide to do that at any given time.
Andover, Vermont

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 07:50:29 PM »
I have a RCBS beam scale that I purchased in 1982 that works just fine but now I find it a bit troublesome to use because I'm not as steady as I once was with it. I now use a RCBS Rangemaster 750 digital scale and a small pocket Frankford Arsenal 750 digital scale. I find that the RCBS digital scale has a "float" issue if it is near any electronic equipment. It will fluctuate by one tenth of a grain and keep increasing until it is re-zeroed and moved away from the interference. I was told by the RCBS rep that the digital scale must be isolated from any external electrical interference and must be warmed up before it will respond accurately. It is most sensitive to this condition when using the battery mode and somewhat sensitive to this condition when using the AC adapter. The Frankford Arsenal 750 digital pocket scale is better in that regard as it is not as sensitive to this condition but the pan is very small to be handled easily. I like the RCBS digital scale but I had a problem with the 9 volt battery connection (wire broke) and now I can only use the AC adapter.  Bottom line is (my opinion) the beam scale is the least troublesome and very accurate but slow -- the digital scale is quick but has a "float" issue that is correctable but you have to keep an eye on it. Hope this helps :).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 10:06:45 PM »
Hungry Horse,

Just had to tell you that I laughed out loud when I read your post.....thanks !  Out here in the Peoples Republik of California (with the lunatics running the asylum) I can use all the levity I can get.  ("...cooped up weighing your balls on a dope scale.....")  OUTSTANDING LINE... ;) ;D

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2020, 11:23:52 PM »
Dave;

My humor is what allows me to laugh instead of cry, since I to live in Americas biggest free ranging insane asylum of California. Lake County is surrounded by high mountains, and legendary crooked roads, so the majority of the crazies don’t get in.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 12:32:32 AM »
I've owned two RCBS beam scales for near 50 years and they are still going strong.  A few years ago I bought a digital scale from Harbor Freight for $15 or $16 that looks a lot like the one in Eric's post.  It's reliable and handy; and if it ever goes south I can easily get another or a better one.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline redheart

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 07:09:47 AM »
Dave;

My humor is what allows me to laugh instead of cry, since I to live in Americas biggest free ranging insane asylum of California. Lake County is surrounded by high mountains, and legendary crooked roads, so the majority of the crazies don’t get in.

Hungry Horse
At the risk of making this sound like a Hungry Horse fan club, I also get a kick out of your posts.
Don't stop till you drop!

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 05:35:36 PM »
I've got one that I use to weigh my espresso shots.  Never thought about using one for anything black powder.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 10:04:38 PM »
Rich, forget all the scales that weigh in grains - go to Walmart or a grocery store, look in kitchen pots n pans, get a kitchen scale that weighs in ounces or grams.  About $10 or less for one with a 10 lb range.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2020, 02:04:24 AM »
Rich, forget all the scales that weigh in grains - go to Walmart or a grocery store, look in kitchen pots n pans, get a kitchen scale that weighs in ounces or grams.  About $10 or less for one with a 10 lb range.

Are those sensitive enough to sort round balls of different weight?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 03:41:55 AM »
Actually, the Harbor Freight one will be good enough.  Has all the necessary functions to get weights for your loads.  May not last as long as some of the other name brands such as Frankfort Arsenal. Batteries go out fairly quickly, but replacement batteries can be found at the dollar store.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2020, 04:31:29 AM »
Rich, The best price longest lasting digital scale I have used is made by Frankfort Arsenal scale. Changeable for grains, drams, grams, and etc. Jerry