Author Topic: PRIMING HORN REFERENCE - 1758  (Read 4532 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: PRIMING HORN REFERENCE - 1758
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2020, 02:39:17 AM »
Well there ya go, one of those age old questions solved now can you find the earliest recorded use of a "Bulger" or short starter? I know of at least one dating back to the annual Rendezvous prior to 1840 but not found one before that except the British use of one for the Baker I think.  ;D :)

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2020, 02:51:02 AM »
Well there ya go, one of those age old questions solved now can you find the earliest recorded use of a "Bulger" or short starter? I know of at least one dating back to the annual Rendezvous prior to 1840 but not found one before that except the British use of one for the Baker I think.  ;D :)

...oh, you’re trying to get the guys who use a short starter while peering down their noses at guys who use priming horns all worked up....grouchy.  ;)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2020, 03:53:14 AM »
Wasn,t trying to hijack your thread Bob but sometimes I just cant help myself. It might be the meds.  ;D :)

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2020, 03:57:46 AM »
Wasn,t trying to hijack your thread Bob but sometimes I just cant help myself. It might be the meds.  ;D :)

;D

Offline Not English

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2020, 04:36:07 AM »
I've got a nice small flat priming horn, I use a violin tuning peg for a plug. It fits in a bag or pocket quite nicely. I shoot 3F usually and ended up priming from the main horn. If I was to use 2F, I think I would use it more. Where I have found it extremely useful is in modern deer hunting seasons here in Wi (blaze orange). I use a bullet board, 35mm film containers or diabetic test strip containers filled with premeasured powder, and the priming horn. The beauty of this set up is that 3 or 4 shots can be carried in the hunting jacket pockets with bag or anything else to carry other than a wooden toothpick to plug the touch hole when needed.