Author Topic: Colerain turkey gun load  (Read 1626 times)

Lori Ann

Colerain turkey gun load
« on: May 04, 2020, 05:16:00 AM »
Hey everybody, I just got my turkey gun done. It has a colerain 38” barrel. I was just wondering what you guys are shooting, powder ,wads ,shot.  Pictures of patterns would be great.
Thanks,Gary

Offline Dowrat

Re: Colerain turkey gun load
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 03:51:24 PM »
That Colerain turkey choke barrel is awesome. I load mine with 1 1/4 oz measure (80 grains) of FFG powder, 2 card wads 1/8 inch thick, 1 1/2 oz measure of shot (#5 or #6) and 1 over shot card.  It will put about 100 shot in a 10 inch circle at 30 yards. I built my gun as a smooth rifle, with sights, so I can center the tight pattern on the target. I'm sure you'll enjoy your gun.   Darryl

Offline Dowrat

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 03:56:31 PM »

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 04:40:07 PM »
I have a 37 inch Rice 20 ga with Full jug choke. I use 100 grains of Swiss 2F a 1/8" card wad, two 1/4" lubed felt wads, 1 1/2oz lead #6s and #7s mixed and a 1/8" cork over the shot. I found I got better patterns using cork instead of standard overshot card. I gun will put as many as 50 pellets in turkey head neck target at 20 yds and about 25 pellets in it at 30 yards. I only take shots 25 yards and closer.

Lori Ann

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 11:10:57 PM »
I was wonder how the recoil is, I am shooting 95 grains of FF and 1 5/8 oz of shot. Powder 2 felt wads shot 1 felt wad on top and the recoil is very heavy. I don’t enjoy shooting it. I don’t know if I could reduce the load to cut down on the recoil. Let me know what you think.
Thanks, Gary

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 02:17:59 AM »
I feel your pain, I load my 12 ga abut the same but I use 1F. I shoot for practice with a 1" thick PAST recoil pad on my shoulder, this gun really whops me. I have never felt a recoil when I was shooting at game so that part doesn't bother me.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 08:30:48 AM »
Good suggestion Eric. A while back, my right shoulder had torn cartilage from shooting too many rounds from a certain .458 rifle I had.
I used the standard magnum P.A.S.T. recoil pad strap on my right shoulder and could shoot all my guns, without pain & from a bench.
 The PAST shoulder protectors are great.  Now, if I am going to do a lot of shooting from the bench with kickers, I wear the past protector.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline adkmountainken

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 02:02:25 PM »
44 inch Colerain here. 90 grains FF, hornets nest, 1 1/2 ounce of #5 topped with hornets nest. proof is in the pudding!

Lori Ann

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 04:37:18 AM »
I don’t mind the recoil as much as the impact on my cheek bone. The gun has a lot of muzzle jump, it kicks more up than back. Is there anything that can be done for this.
Thanks, Gary

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 03:15:06 PM »
Try fg powder! I found my 16 gauge shoots well at 20 -25 yards with reduced loads of fg.

50-60 grns of powder by volume, nitro card,110 grns by volume #6 shot topped with a thin card then a soaked / wet cushion wad on top of the charge... known as the Skychief load ( or a variation thereof)

The fg powder seems too deliver more of a push than a sharp recoil.

Keep experimenting  with different powders and various shot loads and combinations and you will  find a suitable load for your gun.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'