Author Topic: Jaeger rifle finish question.  (Read 1799 times)

Offline lexington1

Jaeger rifle finish question.
« on: May 04, 2020, 05:24:38 AM »
Does anyone know what metal finish a military Jaeger from around the time of the American Revolution would have had? I am finishing up a Jaeger that I'm building and am undecided about what to finish it with. I have several Jaegers but they are all civilian but one, and I can't tell what it had. The civilian ones are all blued, but the military version looks almost like a smooth brown on the underside of the barrel where it was protected. I've been pouring through my books, but to no avail. Here is the military Jaeger I have.

Offline Levy

Re: Jaeger rifle finish question.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 09:44:00 PM »
I have a relic jaeger rifle that is military from around 1820 and the bottom protected side of the 29" barrel is blued.  It is .58 cal. and one turn in 29".  James Levy
James Levy

WESTbury

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 10:26:38 PM »
Lexington---Have you checked George Moller's Volume One of American Military Shoulder Arms for the descriptions of four Jagers on pages 448-461? Moller gives his usual very detailed description for each.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:31:26 PM by WESTbury »

WESTbury

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 11:40:03 PM »
Lexington---Don Troiani's and Jim Kochan's book, Soldiers of the American Revolution which I'm sure you have, has photos of two Jagers, one each from their personal collections. Both rifles have bright barrels and locks.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 12:18:16 AM »
I am of the opinion too that they were probably white, but am looking see if anyone has seen anything else on the military rifles. I have bought several European guns through the years and they have almost always been cleaned of their original finishes. It's a shame too because many of them have really cool gold filled lettering and engraving, but with the finish off it's hard to see the design.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 12:21:32 AM »
Lexington---Have you checked George Moller's Volume One of American Military Shoulder Arms for the descriptions of four Jagers on pages 448-461? Moller gives his usual very detailed description for each.

I forgot about Mollers book. I will check it this evening!

WESTbury

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 12:34:40 AM »
How could you forget Moller's book? ;)

Actually, I have not looked at his Volume One in years. There's not one Springfield (my obsession) in the @!*% thing!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 01:08:39 AM »
I'd finish the lock with pack hardening colours or left bright, and rust blue the barrel.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.