Author Topic: Looking for a Northwest North Carolina Piece  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Looking for a Northwest North Carolina Piece
« on: May 06, 2020, 11:03:14 PM »
Hello everyone,
This falls under the "It never hurts to ask category"
I am on the board for the Mount Airy Museum or Regional History.  By regional we cover what is not Surry, Stokes, Yadkin, Forsyth, Wilkes counties in NC, and Carrol and Grayson Country Virginia,
We are currently redoing our exhibits particularly on early migration.  Our collections include very few items from the 18th to early 19th century.  Outside of farm tools (which we love)

What we really want is a long gun, rifle or fowler flintlock and it could be in relic condition.  Perhaps a horn or other accoutrements from the region. 
So, does anyone out there know of someone who might have such an item and could use a tax write off or is looking to scale down a collection???

Regards,

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline backsplash75

Re: Looking for a Northwest North Carolina Piece
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 03:57:00 PM »
Likely too far out of your focus, but I have a Moore County NC shot bag/pouch and small horn I might be willing to part with. Tool wise, I have a Confederate soldier's/vet's marked wooden plane, guy was from Rowan County and served in 1st NC Cavalry.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 04:18:03 PM by backsplash75 »

Offline backsplash75

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 04:25:21 PM »
KELLY KINZLE ANTIQUES http://www.kellykinzleantiques.com/rare-north-carolina-powder-horn.html

Has a nice 18th century Surry/Stokes County NC horn

ETA in the "Not too helpful but you might be interested to know" category, Whisker's Long rifles of Virginia p127-128 has a nice ca 1800ish  musket that looks like it may be one of the Swan contract guns marked to Grayson County.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 06:08:14 PM by backsplash75 »

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 05:35:14 PM »
If that horn did not have North Carolina engraved on it, I would think it was from one of the Tansels.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline backsplash75

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 06:04:02 PM »
If that horn did not have North Carolina engraved on it, I would think it was from one of the Tansels.

Cory Joe Stewart

From what I can tell the maker was a joiner originally from PA who bought land in Surry Co in 1778, joined the Moravian church in 1786 (he married a Moravian gal and was near Bethania in 1777). Given the County is subdivided and his land ends up in Stokes county the horn would likely date from between 1771 (when Surry was formed) to 1789 (when his land became Stokes Co). I am not affiliated with the seller, and it sure won't be cheap judging from past auction sales.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 06:07:20 PM by backsplash75 »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 06:19:43 PM »
Hello everyone,
This falls under the "It never hurts to ask category"
I am on the board for the Mount Airy Museum or Regional History.  By regional we cover what is not Surry, Stokes, Yadkin, Forsyth, Wilkes counties in NC, and Carrol and Grayson Country Virginia,
We are currently redoing our exhibits particularly on early migration.  Our collections include very few items from the 18th to early 19th century.  Outside of farm tools (which we love)

What we really want is a long gun, rifle or fowler flintlock and it could be in relic condition.  Perhaps a horn or other accoutrements from the region. 
So, does anyone out there know of someone who might have such an item and could use a tax write off or is looking to scale down a collection???

Regards,

Cory Joe Stewart

Cory,
I have one NC original left that I would sell, I don't have a clue about the location of origin but I will try to drag it out and make a few photos later today or tomorrow. If it fits your needs we can discuss.
Dennis
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 06:27:35 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 06:47:53 PM »
Thanks Dennis

Cory Joe

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 06:48:18 PM »

Cory Joe Stewart

From what I can tell the maker was a joiner originally from PA who bought land in Surry Co in 1778, joined the Moravian church in 1786 (he married a Moravian gal and was near Bethania in 1777). Given the County is subdivided and his land ends up in Stokes county the horn would likely date from between 1771 (when Surry was formed) to 1789 (when his land became Stokes Co). I am not affiliated with the seller, and it sure won't be cheap judging from past auction sales.

Fascinating stuff.  Thanks.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 08:13:52 PM »
Hi Cory,
I have two powder horns in my collection for many years that are from your area. Problem is I do not wish to sell them at this time.

This is a great bee-hive horn that was found in Stokes County. It has a nice folk carved tip.

This second powder horn has a single band and was found in Surry County. The tip on this horn is wrapped in wire.

I do have two flintlock rifles from the Wachovia Tract that are currently for sale.

A Salem rifle attributed to Timothy Vogler.

gif upload site

The second rifle is from Bethania and is attributed to Elias Schaub.

If you know anyone willing to buy these and donate them to your museum, please send an email to mbriggs@callcoverage.com and I will provide you my cell number so we can talk.

Thanks,

Michael

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 08:17:23 PM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 01:22:35 AM »
Hi Cory,
I have two powder horns in my collection for many years that are from your area. Problem is I do not wish to sell them at this time.

This is a great bee-hive horn that was found in Stokes County. It has a nice folk carved tip.

This second powder horn has a single band and was found in Surry County. The tip on this horn is wrapped in wire.

I do have two flintlock rifles from the Wachovia Tract that are currently for sale.

A Salem rifle attributed to Timothy Vogler.

gif upload site

The second rifle is from Bethania and is attributed to Elias Schaub.

If you know anyone willing to buy these and donate them to your museum, please send an email to mbriggs@callcoverage.com and I will provide you my cell number so we can talk.

Thanks,

Michael

Mr. Briggs, thank you so much for sharing.  Let me talk to some folks on my end. 

Cory Joe Stewart