Author Topic: English Flintlock Self Priming gun  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Feltwad

English Flintlock Self Priming gun
« on: May 08, 2020, 12:27:54 AM »
I am looking for information on a unusual flintlock which is self priming , although have been restoring and collecting flint and percussion guns for many decades  I have still to come across one .Several  English gun makers built them  including  James Rowntree the gun maker that built the first percussion cap gun for Joshua Shaw, any information would be appreciated
Feltwad 

Offline Carl Young

Re: English Flintlock Self Priming gun
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 02:59:39 AM »
You may find information by searching scholar.google.com, which will search academic papers and patent applications. Here is an example: https://patents.google.com/patent/US24372A/en

PS: I had plans to spend a few weeks in the UK this month, but Covid nixed our plans. Look forward to getting back over there for more museum visits. Hope all is well with you.

Regards,
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Frank Graves

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 04:36:26 PM »
Are you thinking of the Collier Flintlock revolver?  They were patented first in England in 1818 by Bostonian Elisha H. Collier and featured a frizzen with a reservoir set up to deliver a priming charge for each shot.  Here is a pistol - long guns were also produced, all in very limited quantities.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 07:20:33 PM »
Yes this is a similar principle  by collier I know the English gunmakers  did a almost identical one on their long guns but I have never seen or handled one .
Thanks for the info
Feltwad

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 08:08:18 PM »
I am looking for information on a unusual flintlock which is self priming , although have been restoring and collecting flint and percussion guns for many decades  I have still to come across one .Several  English gun makers built them  including  James Rowntree the gun maker that built the first percussion cap gun for Joshua Shaw, any information would be appreciated
Feltwad

I think there was a Manton patent during the "patent mania"period for a
Manton self priming lock the required the cock to be in safety and the frizzen
closed and it would rely on air compression to force the powder into the pan,
One more way to obstruct the oncoming fulminate ignition systems.
I saw a spoof cartoon of that time frame that showed a gun going off in all
directions and killing every thing and everyone in sight.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:13:47 PM by Bob Roller »

WESTbury

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 08:24:26 PM »
There was a great article  in Man at Arms, Vol 42, No. 2 April 2020 about the Collier that included photos of a revolver by Annely from around 1710 as well as some components of a revolver identified as The "Dafte" revolver. Both are in the Royal Armouries.