Author Topic: Powder horn strap  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Mike from OK

Powder horn strap
« on: May 08, 2020, 02:39:20 AM »
I wanted to try weaving a strap so I threw together a loom from scrap lumber and a dowel rod. The only thing quick and easy that I had access to for weaving was 1mm hemp thread so that's what I used. I made a few small bracelets and such for practice and then moved up to a horn strap.

I originally intended to make this for my Tansel horn, but I put it on this extra horn I rarely carry. If my next attempt turns out the way I want it to it'll go on the Tansel...

Mike

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Powder horn strap
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 02:46:02 AM »
It turned out great Mike. I like it!

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 03:58:53 AM »
Thanks Bob!

Mike

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 04:04:36 AM »
Thanks Bob!

Mike

If you were to make one of those with a burgundy center instead of green and could loop the edges together to create a cord I would pay you for your labor, inventory, and artistry.... :) I need something similar for my Brooks Type G Horn.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 04:34:45 AM »
Mike, I did the same thing a few years ago, and have made garters, sashes, straps for horns and bags, etc. on my loom. I find it relaxing, and usually keep my loom warped up so I can weave a bit when I feel like it. I started out with some really coarse material, but lately have been using some cotton yarns I got from Hobby Lobby. I like the looks of that hemp you’re using, and I bet it’s heck for strong. I need to google up a good source, and give it a try, that looks really good!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 06:02:47 AM »
Thanks Bob!

Mike

If you were to make one of those with a burgundy center instead of green and could loop the edges together to create a cord I would pay you for your labor, inventory, and artistry.... :) I need something similar for my Brooks Type G Horn.

Not sure I'm following what it is you're wanting Bob... Help me out. Are you wanting a continuous loop?

Very odd that you mention burgundy... I am as just kicking around ordering that color. My Tansel horn is brown and black... I figured a nice dark brown and burgundy would go well with it.

Mike

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 06:14:54 AM »
Mike, I did the same thing a few years ago, and have made garters, sashes, straps for horns and bags, etc. on my loom. I find it relaxing, and usually keep my loom warped up so I can weave a bit when I feel like it. I started out with some really coarse material, but lately have been using some cotton yarns I got from Hobby Lobby. I like the looks of that hemp you’re using, and I bet it’s heck for strong. I need to google up a good source, and give it a try, that looks really good!

Greg

Be prepared Greg... I may bug you with questions. Lol

And yes it is very relaxing. All the work is in prepping and warping the loom... After that's done the weaving is very calming and enjoyable. Almost zen like.

Earlier this afternoon I ordered some more hemp cord off of Etsy. The Wally world stuff works but it's "hairy" and doesn't look as nice. I got some nice polished stranded stuff. Looking forward to trying it out.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 05:47:37 AM by Mike from OK »

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 01:30:48 PM »
Nice strap. I'd like to see your thrown together loom, too.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 02:18:22 PM »
Thanks Bob!

Mike

Not sure I'm following what it is you're wanting Bob... Help me out. Are you wanting a continuous loop?

Very odd that you mention burgundy... I am as just kicking around ordering that color. My Tansel horn is brown and black... I figured a nice dark brown and burgundy would go well with it.

Mike

I’ll PM you.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 10:40:00 PM »

Yes sir.

Mike

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 02:55:48 PM »
Mike, this is a really nice looking strap.  There's a woman who comes to Dixon's Faire that does this using different colored waxed linen thread.   Good looking and sturdy.

If you try some waxed hemp. please post.

Thanks

Capgun

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 11:54:46 PM »
Mike, this is a really nice looking strap.  There's a woman who comes to Dixon's Faire that does this using different colored waxed linen thread.   Good looking and sturdy.

If you try some waxed hemp. please post.

Thanks

Capgun

Thank you sir.

I would be interested to know where she gets her linen thread... My first choice was to use linen as I figured it would be more historically correct. But no one, myself included, would be able to afford a strap if I made them with the linen thread I see for sale. I buy Crawford Irish waxed linen thread for leatherworking and a 50g spool runs me about $17 IIRC... A fairly reasonable price to pay for sewing leather,  but would be prohibitively expensive for the amounts needed to make a horn strap.

So I decided to use hemp. Which after some research proved to also be fairly period. The Crown actually required by law people to grow hemp to support the British "war machine" in those days... And it was still a major staple of agriculture after the Rev War..The USS Constitution was rigged with about 55 tons of hemp fiber products.

It was a ubiquitous utilitarian product throughout a good portion of this nation's history.

That first horn strap I made measures about 38" from end knot to end knot and about 1.25" wide. The brown portion used most of a 300' foot ball of 1 mm twine. The green portion used less... I suppose I could get 2 more straps of the same size from a ball of green.

A possible alternative is linen or linen blend (wool/hemp) yarn. Prices for yarn are much more affordable. Problem is that I just don't know much about yarn and what size/weight I need to order... And finding it in my preferred colors. I could hand dye it... Not too difficult or expensive but it does add to the burden of "production" so to speak. However, research continues, so future endeavors may include that.

My main goal of undertaking this project was just to see if I could. I don't know if I would ever choose to go into full scale production. At some point I plan to weave a strap for a bag and might be persuaded to make a few items as people request... I've had a request or two.

It's a very enjoyable pastime though. And can be done by anyone and is as cheap or expensive as a person chooses to make it.

Mike

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 12:00:08 AM »

I haven't forgotten about you... I have the loom warped up to make another strap but life is keeping me hopping. And my workbench is such a wreck right now I'd be ashamed to share it with the world. Lol

I also plan to make a smaller loom just for horn straps... My first one will make a strap up to 8.5 feet and even with skipping a lot of pegs I have more waste than I want with shorter projects.

Mike

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 12:32:43 AM »
Well... That figures.

I dug further into waxed linen for making a strap and managed to find some more reasonably priced... From the very vendor I order thread from. It's on their wholesale page.

Still somewhat expensive but better than I had found anywhere else.

Mike

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 05:00:42 PM »
Mike;

This woman who uses the linen shows up at Dixons Faire and also places some of  her stuff on consignment in the store.  Greg and Brenda may be able to give me her name and I'll see if I can get it back to you. Keep up the good work.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 09:04:29 PM »
Mike;

This woman who uses the linen shows up at Dixons Faire and also places some of  her stuff on consignment in the store.  Greg and Brenda may be able to give me her name and I'll see if I can get it back to you. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for the help.  I finally found some linen... white and unwaxed... So it'll have to be hand dyed. But I would definitely appreciate on any other outlets that are available.

Mike

Offline Hutch

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2021, 12:47:02 AM »
I really hate to dig up an old thread but there's not a lot of posts on this subject.  I just bought my daughter a loom(she's 8)  she's been making hats and such and wants to make a blanket or something now.  But after seeing this thread I'm wondering if she could make straps on it too.  Would you mind sharing some on the process? Thank you!

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2021, 04:01:36 PM »
Hutch, most of these straps are woven on what’s commonly called Inkle looms.  They’re simple to make and use…a good weekend project. There are tons of videos on YouTube, so just jump right in and get started!  I made my loom from some shop scraps in just a couple hours, and have been using it for several years now.

Greg

“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hutch

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2021, 04:21:06 PM »
Oh wow that's easy different lol! Hers is a knitting loom but it says it can be used to weaving by changing a few pieces.  I have a strap that was done on an inkle loom, I love the strap but the material used is awfully soft, looks like regular yarn or similar.  What do you normally use for that? I'm gonna have to go check out find videos and see if I can get her in to this too 😂

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2021, 03:28:56 AM »
Cotton rug warp is good, and relatively inexpensive, and available in any color you can imagine. Linen or hemp is also good, but more expensive options. Weaving straps can be addicting…

Greg