Author Topic: Is this a good price ?  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Nessmuck

Is this a good price ?
« on: May 09, 2020, 09:03:37 PM »
Do you remember these days !!  Don’t even know why I still have this can. Must be from the 80’s

Offline vtmtnman

Re: Is this a good price ?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 09:09:03 PM »
Ahhh Riley's....made many a trip there.They still over there in Hooksett?

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 09:15:44 PM »

They went out of business ..just last year.

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 09:18:28 PM »

Terrible.Was a great store.Seems like all the good gun shops are going the way of the Saturday evening post...

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 09:45:50 PM »

Terrible.Was a great store.Seems like all the good gun shops are going the way of the Saturday evening post...

Yep. Make way for the Super Store. Gotta have Jerky Seasoning, swimming pool floaties, and 100 people who know nothing from nothing...

That was kind of negative. Let me start over...

"Sad".

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 10:02:55 PM »
Negative? Perhaps. But true nonetheless Bob.

Mike

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 10:25:07 PM »
Is exactly true, we get the sort of stores that the hordes and masses patronize, those stores swallow up everything else directly or indirectly.  Always try to find those few old stores left standing, their service and products are almost always better than we can expect from any Big Box source-sometimes it's outstanding. Feels better spending money at places like that.

A buddy and I were just last night remembering the old department stores and especially the small regional ones like Western Auto and Otasco.  Places kids these days have never heard of. 

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 10:42:37 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 10:49:58 PM »
When I started shooting black powder it was $2.00 a can and caps were $7.00 a 1000.

Offline Wayne B

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 11:45:19 PM »
    I remember back in the day when our local "American Auto" store had a pickle barrel full of surplus military rifles you could buy for $20.00 apiece. Ahh the good old days.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 11:57:54 PM »
I remember the first time I walked into The Bay, the Hudson Bay store in Winnipeg. For such a large place they had people who knew what they were talking about. Late 50s IIRC. I don,t even know if they are still there or not.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 03:56:53 PM »
I remember the first time I walked into The Bay, the Hudson Bay store in Winnipeg. For such a large place they had people who knew what they were talking about. Late 50s IIRC. I don,t even know if they are still there or not.
Late 50's, we lived out in the west end of Winnipeg. I'd come home from school, grab my rifle and walk out onto the prairie .   I loved to go to S.I.R. , which has now been bought out by Cabela's.
Too bad.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 07:51:51 PM »
Yes Bob - Sydney I. Robinson's - I had bought a few things from them over the years.
Seems to me, when Taylor & I were kids, shooting our little ship's cannons, Curtis And Harvey's 3F was
99 cents per can, with the pull-up rubber spout.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OLUT

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 08:12:06 PM »

Yes, after many years Riley's closed last November. The competition from Shooters Outpost  down the road a couple miles was the final straw. Note that I was never able to buy any Black Powder there as they didn't want to pay the expense of putting in a government mandated storage facility. I do miss them; their staff really knew their trade. They had a nice selection of cast lead balls and bullets in many calibers most of which I have since fired into my backstop

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 04:29:28 PM »
   Remember way back when...you could buy guns an ammo at the old Ace hardware on time...an you could take the gun home before you had it payed off..
  Also remember getting on the school bus with my squirrel rifle.....down hill ever since....have a!ways supported the Mom an Pop stores....Oldtravler

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 05:03:47 PM »

Yep. Make way for the Super Store. Gotta have Jerky Seasoning, swimming pool floaties, and 100 people who know nothing from nothing...

"Sad".
That is so true Bob.  Every customer will give you worthless unwanted advice and tell you why you are wrong and you can never find an associate.  I think the negativity is from the moon phases.  That’s what I’ve been telling my wife for the last year anyhow.

Offline JW

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2020, 07:36:26 PM »
Young guy here (35) but even I bought powder at one point for $10 a pound in the late 90s/early 2000s as a teenager. I wasn't of ample coinage, but I certainly would have tried to stock up more had I known prices would creep up so much. My first pound of powder ever was a can of Goex I found in my dad's shooting supplies (he died when I was 11). Still have the can somewhere (sans powder) and it was probably from the early 80s. I remember thinking that one can, 3/4th full, would last for a long time once I got my hands on my first muzzleloader. Little did I know.

Also, I remember the first can of powder I bought from a local gun store. My mom drove me and the little shop took no time at all to fetch me a can of Goex for $10. When that store went out of business, the Gander Mnt. in town fortunately still carried black powder for a handful of years which was great since I didn't have the money to buy in bulk and have it shipped. The employees were ignorant of muzzleloading. I remember respectfully listening to the gentleman behind the counter lecture me that I didn't need Goex, I should just go over to the shelf and get some Pyrodex (even though they had Goex in the back). This was after a round of young employees told me that all they sold was synthetics. When I politely told him that I would really like to buy a can of Goex because it was for a flintlock he rolled his eyes as if to say, "fine, snot-nosed kid, have it your way." He then asked, "rifle or pistol" because apparently that determined whether he would get me 2f or 3f. I had to practically beg for him to sell me 3f instead of 2f. Eventually they stopped selling black powder too.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 04:09:31 AM »
Young guy here (35) but even I bought powder at one point for $10 a pound in the late 90s/early 2000s as a teenager. I wasn't of ample coinage, but I certainly would have tried to stock up more had I known prices would creep up so much. My first pound of powder ever was a can of Goex I found in my dad's shooting supplies (he died when I was 11). Still have the can somewhere (sans powder) and it was probably from the early 80s. I remember thinking that one can, 3/4th full, would last for a long time once I got my hands on my first muzzleloader. Little did I know.

Also, I remember the first can of powder I bought from a local gun store. My mom drove me and the little shop took no time at all to fetch me a can of Goex for $10. When that store went out of business, the Gander Mnt. in town fortunately still carried black powder for a handful of years which was great since I didn't have the money to buy in bulk and have it shipped. The employees were ignorant of muzzleloading. I remember respectfully listening to the gentleman behind the counter lecture me that I didn't need Goex, I should just go over to the shelf and get some Pyrodex (even though they had Goex in the back). This was after a round of young employees told me that all they sold was synthetics. When I politely told him that I would really like to buy a can of Goex because it was for a flintlock he rolled his eyes as if to say, "fine, snot-nosed kid, have it your way." He then asked, "rifle or pistol" because apparently that determined whether he would get me 2f or 3f. I had to practically beg for him to sell me 3f instead of 2f. Eventually they stopped selling black powder too.

That price sounds about right... I remember buying a pound of Goes 4f back in the early 2000's for a pittance. The price tag fell off long ago but I still have the metal can... Actually still about half full.

I think I heard somewhere the jump in price is due to increased regulations that came about after the Boston Marathon attack... I might be mistaken though.

Mike

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2020, 01:18:13 PM »

has

"Sad".

Some know less than nothing has been my experience and rude clerks earn a call to
corporate HQ if there is one.

Bob Roller

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 02:45:27 AM »
Ten years from now you will be saying,  "Ten hears ago I could buy black powder for what it is now."  Stock up now.  Better then buying into the stock market.

David Price

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 04:00:50 PM »
Back in the 70's was around Nashville and needed some powder. Stopped at an OLD hardware store and asked if they had any. After some scrounging the old fellow came back with a case of DuPont in the old red oval cans. Price on the cans was some were around a buck and that was what he wanted. Obviously I didn't leave any behind.
Mark

Offline AZshot

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 06:50:26 PM »
Similar thing happened to me 2-3 years ago, when I went to an estate sale.  I was looking at reloading stuff and my wive walked over with a cardboard box with about 8 cans of various GOEX, Swiss, Elephant black powder.  She said "do you want this stuff, it's $10?"  Um...yeah. I'd been out of BP for 10 years or so, but knew it would be handy.   Shooting it now. 

Offline Not English

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 07:37:40 AM »
I'm not Cannuck, but my brother-in-law is. I really enjoyed all the Winnipeg references. There's a tremendous fur trade connection there.

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2020, 12:07:38 PM »
Ten years from now you will be saying,  "Ten hears ago I could buy black powder for what it is now."  Stock up now.  Better then buying into the stock market.

David Price

So accurate David.With the way of the world,it's only going to get harder to obtain and more expensive.

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2020, 02:36:21 PM »
I spent a lot of time at Riley's it was sad they closed it was something I felt was going to happen. One of the sales staff was a guy names Sean and when we go to talking one day a few years back it turned out I knew him from years back. I used to deal with a guy in Southport, CT who owned the Hanson's' Gun shop. We bought and sold antique rifles and such. He had a young kid there who turned out to be Sean. Riley's reminded me  of the gun shops I use to go to. There are some still around but they are disappearing the way of the passenger pigeon. The big stores, black rifles, 9mm, 223, 300 blackout, etc. Not that they are bad but generally cater to the masses. Ask anything about black powder you get the deer in the headlights stare and are directed to Pyrodex, inline rifles, etc.
Rob   

Offline alacran

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2020, 02:41:35 PM »
The price of powder or guns have not gone up at all fellows. The value of our coin has gone down.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass