Author Topic: Early Samuel Morrison?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline dtiques

• Starting Member
  • 4Th Infantry, 1966 & 67, Pleiku, Dakto
Early Samuel Morrison?
« on: May 10, 2020, 02:15:40 AM »
Trying to determine if this is an early Morrison. I also understand that he began his trade in either New Hampshire or Vermont. I see some New England influence in his work.
44 1/2" octagon to round smooth bore. Crude conversion with English lock, Interesting patchbox. Looks like a hummingbird or swordfish.
https://s1292.photobucket.com/user/dtiques/library/Samuel%20Morrison?sort=3&page=1

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Early Samuel Morrison?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 03:02:05 AM »
The Link is broken or at least I don’t get pictures
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 03:49:00 AM »
Click on the "View as Slide Show" button, pics came up for me.
Kunk

Offline LynnC

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 04:38:08 AM »
Nope. Doesnt work. Cant even find a slide show function. No pics 😕
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 05:13:03 AM »
In the past Photobucket has proven to be a waste of time, and looks like it still is.
I managed to get to your Morrison pics, but when I tried to move from one to another, the window closed, and went back to start.

Its much easier to just use the picture hosting provided on this forum. Its quick, easy and works!
John Robbins

Offline dtiques

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 05:37:51 AM »
Sorry for the inconvienience. Here are some individual pics. let me know if you want a special pic.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 02:17:02 PM »
The signature bears strong similarity and what I can see of the architecture makes me a believer. None of his great pierced inlay work but he well could have developed that later on. Love to see more of it. Always been a fan of his talent. So many of his works are in rough condition. This one looks better. Thanks for putting it up.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline AMartin

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 03:12:03 PM »
Sam Morrison worked in Milton or Lewisburg PA ... upper Susquehanna ..
And this gun looks similar to many others from this area ..

WESTbury

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 04:12:54 PM »
dtiques---Not a "crude conversion" at all, demonstrates practicality. In all probability that is the original lock fitted to this specimen.

The signature is close to that of a Morrison rifle shown on Page 99 of Whisker's Behold The Longrifle.

If you have not already,check out the Morrison rifles, as well as some biographical info in the Bruce Miller Library.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:22:56 PM by WESTbury »

Offline dtiques

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 06:12:49 PM »
Westbury---I agree. Very practical conversion and I wish I could find more rifles in this form. It's a historical timeline. I heard the term "crude" or type 1 used before. Here are some more pics.

WESTbury

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 09:28:57 PM »
That is a great looking firearm, thanks for posting the additional photos.

That type of percussion conversion, using a modified flint hammer, appears on military muskets as well. The owners, more often than not, label the musket, a "Confederate Conversion", usually with out any supporting documentation. Invariably, most any beat up musket gets a Confederate the designation.