Author Topic: Mexican War Powder Horn....????  (Read 5034 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Mexican War Powder Horn....????
« on: April 12, 2017, 02:32:19 AM »
 :-\ :-\ ::) ::)....Will try to post pix of an interesting horn I recently came across....It appears to have been lightly engraved at one time, however the designs have no darkening agent applied....slightly over 12" long, 2&1/2" base....no plug in base...tip shaped like powder horn...DESIGNS....letters saying "Battles oF MeXico ... (line two)..gR Scott Veracrus (followed by a faint date which appears to be  18?7)...also a cannon with eagle above it, two horses and a lot of floral (??) engraving...Any help with identifying and opionions appreciated....... Thanx, boys..!!! .... Fiddler............

svg image hosting

upload image

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:54:21 PM by rich pierce »

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: Mexican War Powder Horn....????
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 04:18:07 AM »
I believe the lettering and designs on this horn were dyed in some fashion. As it faded out this is what was left of it. Interesting horn.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 02:15:28 PM »
 Are there holes where a Butt would have been installed or does it look like it was cut off?

Tim C.

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 04:49:36 PM »
 :-\ :-\...Well, Tim... no holes present in plug end.... but ageing is consistent with rest of horn....either cut off a long time ago, or was never finished as a powder horn....I tend to think cut off, since engraving goes almost to edge.....

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:52:32 PM by rich pierce »

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 03:01:32 AM »
In Tom Grinslade's book, there are horns with no pins in the butt. This is pretty obviously not supposed to be a blowing horn. Curiouser and curiouser.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 03:06:24 PM »
 I wonder if they were glued in, no pins??? TC

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 05:12:54 PM »
 ;D ;D... Appreciate the thoughts, boys....When I saw it, I knew it was a mystery....Hopefully we can resolve it....!!! .. Thanx, ...Fiddler....

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »
This is interesting.  I have heard that the particular staining design can be done with aqua fortis, but I have never tried it myself. 

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 04:26:37 AM »
I'll see Art next week and I'll show him this horn. (pictures) It should be interesting to hear what he thinks.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 05:39:01 PM »
STEVE:
I'll see Art next week and I'll show him this horn. (pictures) It should be interesting to hear what he thinks.

I look forward to hearing what Art D. has to say about this neat horn. Btw, look at page 79 in Hopkins' new book.

Rick
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 06:15:41 PM »
Will do.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline okieboy

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 06:30:53 PM »
 The decoration of the horn reminds me of acid etching. I wonder if acid etching could be used on a horn?
Okieboy

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 12:59:54 AM »
 ;) ;) ;)..... I will bring this horn to the Knoxville TN/KY gun show next Friday & Saturday if anyone might be present there to examine and speculate.... Regards, Fiddler....... 8) 8) 8)

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 04:16:34 AM »

These are pictures of a cup that Art had with him. Late 1700s. This was a design using Lead Oxide. Notice how similar they are. Art and I believe these are done with a similar process. He does not think this horn was cut off. It is speculated that the plug was pressed in and when the crack shown occurred, that allowed the plug to loosen. It also doesn't appear to have been used as a blowing horn. Art thinks it may have been a commemorative horn used as a wall hanger because of the lack of wear. He says "HI" Rick.

Steve
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:53:09 PM by rich pierce »
Steve Skillman

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 07:25:46 PM »
 :) :)...WOW...Thanx..!! ..the horn had much interest at the Knoxville show this week-end, but not too much info gained about it's possible origin and purpose...Any thoughts as to who might provide this info and possible appraisal of value, please inform me...I originally purchased it because I liked the shape....thought about fitting a plug and using it....might be more important however as an historical artifact....I have never before seen a horn with Mexican War provenance....Also, the "fraktur" type designs on the horn have been speculated as Pennsylvania or Valley of Virginia (Germanic) in origin.......THE MYSTERY CONTINUES......... 

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:10:59 PM by Ky-Flinter »

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2020, 07:05:41 PM »
 8) 8) 8)... thanx for the interest in this old horn, and a BIC thanx for this new topic link,... !!! ... I was fortunate to see a similar horn at the winter Alabama show,... However,... neither the owner or others could offer more insight,... !!! ... THE MYSTERY CONTINUES,.......