General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Loading tubes

(1/2) > >>

ottawa:
I've seen guys using this tube that goes down the barrel whats the addvantage ? too keep the powder from sticking to the sides ? makes for a more accurate load? just cores
Thanks
Ben

Roger Fisher:
Many bench shooters use this arrangement they consider a few grains of powder sticking to the bore part way down a no no although those grains get shoved onto the rest of the powder when they seat the patched ball.  The bench shooters often use a humidity tester and adjust the powder charge accordingly up or down.

Those boys pay strict attention to do every thing the same each time and they can shoot also! :)

Daryl:
The smokeless BR boys also use humidity testers and barometers for powder charge adjustment- some feel this is going too far - runs in the same vein as using a chrging tube in a ML - all in the interests of making the 1 bullet diameter hole group for 5 shots.

northmn:
While I do not know if it would also make a difference, when you load a BPC like a 45-70 you use a tube to help align the powder.  If one justs dumps powder in the case it takes up more room than from a tube.  I would think a barrel would do the same, but they may do so for more consistant alignment.

DP

Daryl:
Either 'tube', barrel or drop tube is a drop tube - but with powder granuals impinging on the bore sides, the 'fall' might be less precise - might not matter either as it's still a long drop.
As with any accuracy game, most competitors leave nothing to chance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version