Author Topic: ALR Musuem Exhibit: Soddy Daisy ....now there are two (2) to view and study.  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
The museum is pleased to offer now 2 fine examples of Soddy workmanship. The second has original accouterments.
This URL will lead you to both fine examples of Southern, particularly Tennessee, iron mounted
longrifles. Any comments about the School and its makers would be a fine addition to the exhibits.
Please add them here as a reply.
Thank you

Here is the URL to both guns.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=56.0

Hurricane
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 05:50:17 PM by hurricane »

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
The Soddy school is one of my favorites.  These guns are generally included in the E. TN school and while geographically correct; guns from this are have a have several features that seperate them from other E. TN guns creating their own little school in lower E.TN.    
Soddy characteristics include:  Deep curved buttplates with a vee cross shape.  Long straight strap tang that terminates at the base of the comb.  The cheekpiece is very unique and flows from the wrist of the gun, blending in with the vee shaped butt stock.  The typical forearm is also very vee shaped.  Both rifles are great examples of the typical architecture found on guns made in the area.  
Noted gunsmiths from the area include Enoch Harding, Johnny Fritts, John Clements,Sr. and Jr., and H Gardner.  Robin Hale also mentions in his papers Clarke and Horne from Walden's Ridge on the Mt. above Soddy-Daisy.  Jerry Nobles has several pictures in his books of early Log shoots in the Pikeville are which is not far from the town of Soddy-Daisy.  Gun making and shooting has been a tradition in these communities for many years.  
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:33:25 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline RobertS

That is quite an interesting piece, thanks for sharing it.  That tang is very interesting, and appears to be two-pieces.  Any significance to that?

RS

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Robert,
Sorry to say it was broken as a lot are.  The long tangs may add strength as some think but when the barrel is out of the gun they are very easy to break. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline RobertS

Thanks, Ken, at first I thought maybe it was a break, but it was so clean, I talked myself out of that conclusion.