Author Topic: Original West Virginia Bag with Horn and Contents  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
Original West Virginia Bag with Horn and Contents
« on: May 12, 2020, 09:36:02 PM »
This pouch is from Hardy County in West Virginia, which is just west of the Shenandoah Valley. It came from the farm where my father grew up, and he played with the pouch and cast balls with the molds inside as a child in the 1920's.

The horn was attached to the main bag straps with smaller straps at one time. I don't believe that the horn is original to the pouch. I took them to Dixon's a few years ago, and one of the bag makers there told me that he believed that the original pouch was hand stitched and professionally made.

The horn is rather crude, with the plain plug whittled to fit the horn, rather than having the mouth of the horn rounded. Note that the flap and the front of the pouch were tanned with the hair on. Also note from the back view that the back was worn though, replaced and worn through again, so it saw much hard use. I believe the main strap was replaced when the back was replaced and the horn was added at that time. The main strap has various holes and slots in it. My father believed in was a salvaged piece of wagon harness.

The last picture shows the contents of the bag when I got it. The measures are on a leather thong that matches a stub on the main strap, indicating that they were once attached there. The cartridge with the measures is a 38 wcf, which indicates the bag was in use as late as 1879.

Dale H

Offline homerifle

Re: Original West Virginia Bag with Horn and Contents
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 01:12:46 AM »
Thanks Dale for showing this outfit. Being from Hampshire county I really I'm glad to see it. What are the dimensions of the bag ?     Lots of Halterman's in the Moorefield area are you originally from there?

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 05:12:24 AM »
Glad you like it. I'll get some dimensions for you tomorrow.

I was not born in WVA, but my father was born in Halterman Hollow near Lost River. They moved to a farm just outside Moorefield when he was a kid, and that is where the pouch came from. So, yes, those are my relatives in Moorefield although I have only been back a few times since my father passed away.

Dale H

Offline homerifle

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 05:09:37 PM »
Thanks Dale I'll be looking for it.

I sent you a PM.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 06:11:21 PM »
The width of the bag is a little over 8", the depth of the bag is about 7" and the overall length of the flap is a little over 12". The strap is 1 1/2" wide.

Dale H

Offline Crow Boy

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 02:32:42 AM »
Look at the wear on that patch punch!  Somebody made a lot of patches. Very interesting range of accouterments. By-the-by, what's diameter of the ball moulds?

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 04:01:00 AM »
Both molds cast a .45 round ball. The one with the broken handle is rather crudely made but the other one appears to be a commercial product. The remaining handle on the crude one has a flattened end and I think it may have been intended to be used as a turn screw.

Dale H