Author Topic: 32cal 27-28 grains 3F Graff black powder in a Green Mt 42"  (Read 2139 times)

Chemman

So is this a good load?

I have shot 20+   but this is a wonder load.

thanks

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: 32cal 27-28 grains 3F Graff black powder in a Green Mt 42"
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 02:29:49 PM »
What ever works.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 02:59:52 PM »
So is this a good load?

thanks

It’s in the realm of what one would expect but only your barrel can tell you. Anything from 15-40 should work depending on the range and target. Squirrels at 25y? I’d start at 15 and go up in small increments and find the one that will cloverleaf for you. Try different patch thickness as well.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 04:45:53 PM »
Yep, I would say it is a reasonable starting point.  As others said, start there and go up in increments until the barrel tells you what it likes. 

My experience (for what it is worth) is that GM barrels are not fussy, and tend to have a wider range of charges that will shoot well then some other barrels.  I have no idea the physics behind that, but it seems to be a positive for sure. 

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 06:53:29 PM »
If this is a "wonder load" for you and this rifle it is your load. I still would go up and down in small increments but if this gives you results you are happy with than you are there.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Ghillie

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 07:03:05 PM »
I built a .32 caliber rifle with a Douglass barrel in 1972.  It was/is my favorite gun.  Many people who haven't shot and used them criticize the .32 as being no good beyond 25-30 yards.  That is just from a lack of experience.  I shot 30 grains in target matches at 25 and 50 yards, it did fine.  At 100 yards I used 60 grains to shoot at point of aim with the sights on the barrel.  My first ever, 1st place ribbon at 100 yards was won with that .32 and 60 grains of powder.  I later killed a groundhog at 125 yards with the same load.  Interesting that the 30 grain load gave a velocity similar to a .22 magnum.  The 100 grain load approached a .22 Hornet.  On squirrels I took either body shots or head shots.  These gave a neat .32 caliber hole in and out on rig cage shots and destroyed the heads.  A shot through the shoulder or ham just devastated the part of the squirrel to be inedible.  The .32 is a great caliber and you can shoot a year or more with 1 pound of lead and powder.

Chemman

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 07:28:23 PM »
So is this a good load?

thanks

It’s in the realm of what one would expect but only your barrel can tell you. Anything from 15-40 should work depending on the range and target. Squirrels at 25y? I’d start at 15 and go up in small increments and find the one that will cloverleaf for you. Try different patch thickness as well.

So I am not familiar with the "cloverleaf" exactly what would I be looking at there Bob?

I really have not shot this gun more than a handful of times.  It had seen a few years of neglect and slightly corroded on the outside from Oklahoma humidity and closet storage.  Not shot a flintlock before so did not know what to expect or how to fix the first problem, really poor/no spark.  I had noticed the frizzen seemed kind of sticky and hard to rotate.  I got some Traditions English Flints and a a drop of penetrating oil on the pivot and spring face, work a bunch and rinse with alcohol.  Put the new flint in and it sparks pretty good now every time I tried it. 

The few times I did get it to shoot 20 grains seemed ok, 25 pretty cracken.  I was shooting 50 yards at a 4" metal plate, only get withing 3 or 4 inches of it.  Last time I went took my buddy.  His first shot he says, "Hey you gave something missing off your front sight".  Pretty sure he is right. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/AWC0L13

I do a little watch repair and have a cigar box with brass round stock of every imaginable size, I think a little piece is headed that way. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 07:32:30 PM by Chemman »

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 07:46:24 PM »
A cloverleaf is when your holes in the target touch, forming a cloverleaf-ish pattern. Really it just means a tight group. Post some pics. You might take the lock apart and clean and oil it while at the same time learn a bit about function. Take a pic of the inside so you can put it back together correctly. Keep shooting.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 08:05:56 PM »
No spark. Sharpen the flint and wipe the frizzen face with a bit of alcohol to get any grease off. I have videos on my YouTube channel showing how to do all of that including disassembly of the lock.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 08:08:08 PM »
The .32 I had, would make a .40 calibre oblong hole with 5 shots at 25 yards with a mere 20gr. of 3F GOEX (rest shooting). To shoot further out, 50 or 60yards it needed
 35gr. 3F GOEX. I did not work up a 100yard load for it but it stands to reason for good accuracy at that range would require even more powder.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Skirmisher

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 08:25:55 PM »
My 32 shoots 1 hole groups at 25 yards with a charge of 27 grains of Goex 3fg.  I have gone up and down and tried other powders but keep coming back to this.

Chemman

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 03:57:00 AM »
A cloverleaf is when your holes in the target touch, forming a cloverleaf-ish pattern. Really it just means a tight group. Post some pics. You might take the lock apart and clean and oil it while at the same time learn a bit about function. Take a pic of the inside so you can put it back together correctly. Keep shooting.

I see now, I am familiar with the cloverleaf in a target, thought it may be a barrel mark left on the patch or the shape of a recovered bullet or something, lol. 

(edited tdg)

I have been using a 4"x1" steel plate suspended over an  poster board, hitting within 6" of the plate but not the plate at 50 yards.  Using right at 20 grains of 3f.  Thinking of moving up to 27 grains. 

My main problem was spark, or lack of spark.  Just recently read that the flint need 3X frizzen spring tension.  My 32's frizzen was real sticky and hard to rotate.  I didn't know how it should be so couple drops of penetration oil and worked it in real well, a new Traditions English Flint and sparks are a flyin'!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 02:59:27 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 06:33:15 AM »
I use moly grease inside my locks. It stays for close to a year's worth of shooting and cleaning.
The main spring and tumbler contact as well as the frizzen pivot needs lube, as does the tumbler where it comes out through the lock plate.
Daryl

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 11:59:41 AM »
I run 20gr in my .32 and I get cloverleafs at 25 yards.If I strapped the gun down to a solid bench I'm certain it would put 3 balls through the same hole. Love .32cal,so accurate.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 08:37:00 PM »
It does not take an accurate load to shoot well at 25 yards with a .32. 
It does take an "accurate" load to shoot well at 50yards or beyond. A load that
shoots into one single hole for 5 shots at 25 yards, might not shoot inside 2 1/2" at 50yards.
That is how my .32 shot. As noted to shoot at longer ranges, requires more powder.
Daryl