Author Topic: Couple Forged Knife Blades...Finished (Bulbus Handle)  (Read 2117 times)

Offline tippit

Couple Forged Knife Blades...Finished (Bulbus Handle)
« on: May 20, 2020, 09:53:02 PM »
I like to look at the "Items for Sale/Wanted" forum.  A couple of days ago I saw where someone was looking for a Josh Wrightsman knife and someone else said there was one for sale on the Contemporary Longrifle Association artisan's page .  Not knowing who he was, I looked Josh up...quite an amazing bladesmith & flintlock maker.  On his Facebook page were some beautiful examples of his work...but I was very impressed by a simple steak/patch knife with a bulbus handle.  So I had my inspiration to head to my forge.  I won't post a picture of Josh's knife without his permission but here are two blades (8 1/2 & 9 1/2 inches OAL) I just forged, profiled, and ground that are ready to be drilled for handle pins and quenched/tempered.  So far I like the fat feel of the handle in my hand.  I'll post finished pictures later....tippit

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:40:48 PM by tippit »

Offline Keith Zimmerman

Re: Couple Forged Knife Blades
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 12:18:38 PM »
Will be beauties when they are finished with dark stained scales.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 10:15:36 PM »
Yep, some dark-stained curly maple would look appropriate.....

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 10:48:21 PM »
Those are nice! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Mike

Offline tippit

Re: Couple Forged Knife Blades...Started Finishing Process
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 07:25:20 PM »
Well since I don't have anything else to do, I thought I'd show my finishing process step by step.

This is the the 8 1/2 inch blade that I'll have Osage scales.  Blade is out of tempering oven with finish grind.  I matched two small Osage blocks, drilled my pin holes, and fitted to handle with 4 penny finishing nails.  Since I'm trying to make a palm swelled handle, I tapered the scales and rough ground to fit.  Nothing is glued up right now as I'll take it apart to hand sand the blade...120, 280, finally 320 grit.  I don't usually go finer for a working knife unless the new owner wants.  With use they all get scratched and develop a gray patina.  Be back later with the scales glued on and handle shaped...tippit

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 08:09:04 PM »
LOVE the blade style  8). I can see where that handle shape will fit the hand but it will have to grow on me. Maybe the rear radius made a bit smaller would look more balanced to my eye :-\????
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline tippit

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 08:52:17 PM »
P.W.
I'll be shaping the entire handle once my glue up sets in 24 hours.  It won't look clunky but the handle butt will be more of a rounded bulbus style.  Just hand sanded blade and glued it up.  Once I can shape the handle, I suspect about 50% of the Osage will be yellow dust.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:12:18 PM by tippit »

Offline tippit

Re: Couple Forged Knife Blades...Finished (Bulbus Handle)
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 05:46:55 PM »
Finished...
Bulbus Handled Knife inspired by Josh Wrightsman...very comfortable in the palm of your hand.  Thanks for looking...tippit

post image

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 05:48:29 PM »
Very nice.

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 06:03:21 PM »
Beautiful job Jeff.

RoaringBull

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 07:26:34 PM »
Looks like it would fit really nice in the hand. Looks sharp too. Very nice job!

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 07:35:22 PM »
I like it much better now that it is finished - I like the color of the handle also - congrats on a fine knife ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline tippit

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 08:23:19 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words. The color will change especially if left out in the sun to a amber honey.  It has about 10 coats of TruOil on it now and has been in the sun all day....already seeing color change between the grain lines. Here is the knife along side an old Osage longbow of mine to see what the color change can be.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:51:15 PM by tippit »

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 02:57:55 PM »
Love osage as it ages.  Esp on my bows.  Whats the other blade gonna get?

Offline tippit

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »
Keith,
I'm still getting used to the feel of the bulbus handle. I like it because seems to just fill the palm of my hand with more weight. I don't like fat heavy handles but this one with the slim taper feels good. So to answer your question, the other knife will stay unfinished on my bench for now.

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 05:27:43 PM »
Good work, I especially like the wood grain orientation at the butt.
Well done.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline tippit

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 09:22:47 PM »
I'm amazed as I never tried this before just 2 days sitting in the Sun...Osage color change already starting to pop...