Author Topic: York County Flat Powder Horn  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Levi Garrett

• Starting Member
York County Flat Powder Horn
« on: May 18, 2020, 11:17:16 PM »
Just have to say I like the new category, antiques are my thing. I do like all of the contemporary accoutrements and firearms as well. With that said, here is a horn I purchased a few years ago. I frequent many live auctions, flea markets, antique shops, etc. where I have picked up quite a few interesting powder horns. I was fortunate enough to find this horn in York County, PA, which is where I live. The individual that I purchased it from had no information on it other than it came from a local auction. It is 3 1/8" wide at the butt, about 9" on the longest curve and 1 1/8" thick at the butt. Typical bottle turned spout found on York horns, two wooden pegs on each side securing the butt end and three wooden pegs securing the flat horn covering on the butt. It has what I believe is the original spout plug with a pick on the plug end. Hope you enjoy, Levi!

Offline Keith Zimmerman

Re: York County Flat Powder Horn
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 11:42:36 PM »
Pretty rare to find one with the pick still attached.  I have one myself a little smaller I use as a primer for one of  my smoothbores.  Its about 5 in.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 12:41:02 AM »
Thank you for bringing a first here! This is the first flat York horn I have ever seen and I have been collecting since 1953. It is a very intereesting piece. Glad to see it. These are about as rare as a swivel breech is from Bedford County.
If this one exists, there must be others; it would be nice to see a screw tip, York flat horn. The bottle nose on this one identifies it as being York. Thanks again,
Dick

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 02:34:52 PM »
WOW.... This horn appears to be quite old and still has the original stopper with a vent pick that is not attached to the horn. Very nice. I really like this new Antique Accouterments section, it is bringing out some interesting items.

Offline Levi Garrett

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 07:55:46 PM »
If anyone has Art DeCamp's Horns Of The Trade book, there are two examples just like this horn on pages 168 and 169. And yes Dick, it does say that at least two screw-tip flat horns are known to exist. Thanks, Randy (Levi) Garrett

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 08:49:09 PM »
Thanks for your reponse, Randy. Art borrowed a flat horn with screw tip and applied collar from me to picture in his book. I have two and both are are Philly horns. I also have a small flat priming horn with screw tip and applied collar, but it too is Philadelphia. I have York screw tip horns and the bottle nose variety, but so far the flat one has eluded me.
Dick

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 10:22:38 PM »
Very nice little horn, and thank you for showing it to us.