Author Topic: i have this old knife, what is it?  (Read 1662 times)

Offline wolf

i have this old knife, what is it?
« on: May 21, 2020, 10:15:58 PM »
I bought this old knife off ebay. dose anybody know if it was associated with the black powder era? I have no idea. it looks ancient but very tight, it has heavy patina on the blade and antler/bone handle. the handle is one piece with one pin and the hilt is brass. it is 16 1/2 long and has a blade 11 1/2 in. any opinion is apprecheated![/img][/img]][/img][/img]
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline wolf

Re: i have this old knife, what is it?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 10:18:32 PM »
[imghttps://i.imgur.com/LzUt8xTl.jpg[/img][/img][/img]][/img]https://i.imgur.com/tkoV7wal.jpg

it has a nice thick blade on it, it looks like it hasn't been sharpened in a long time but still has an edge,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 10:20:34 PM »
I don't know, but that choil and grind in front of the choil look more modern to my eye.  Just my 2 cents worth. 

Offline wolf

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 10:37:51 PM »
the grind in front of the choil is only on one side, not this side,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 03:57:47 PM »
I’m with Marc.  Has the look of a more modern made blade.  Plus a few more thoughts.  Darker stained antler handles are a more modern fashion/technique. Most handles that were antler on original knives aren’t  super dark, (but not always true).  Also the handle looks to be ground down into the antler pith near the guard in one of the photos.  If so, most originals I have seen avoided this near the guard as it makes a pathway for moisture, water, blood, etc. to prematurely weaken the handle over time.  And finally, if it were of old manufacture, I would expect to see some hairline cracks near the pin, since it is in such close proximity to the guard.  It looks to be in pretty good condition in the pictures, as far as I can tell.  None of these are much evidence on their own. But all grouped together with Marc’s observation, they would tend to point to more recent vintage. I would guess 1980’s-90’s.  But maybe a little older.   Another mans SWAG. 

Offline wolf

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 05:50:15 PM »
thank you fellers for the knowledge! I kind of thought it might be a remake, but I am far from being an expert. like they say if you don't know ask! anyway I like the knife, it is super cool, here is some more of the hilt,,,,,,,,,,,,

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:23:28 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline wolf

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 01:42:14 PM »
well I got a little info on it. the man i got it from said it was found in an old barn in Kentucky. he said he had been collecting knives all his life and he really believes it is defiantly 19th century. I don't know but that's the info he gave me,,,,,,,,,,,,,