Author Topic: ALR Museum Gunsmith: A. H. Chapin...Earlsville,NY Cost $16.00 in 1854  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
A wonderful  percussion typical of New York upper gunsmithing in 1854. Very unusual to have the family provenance so well documented as well a bit of the family genealogy and history.

Here is Chapin's gun that belonged the Chauncey Buell of Hudson County, New York.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=202.0

Hurricane
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:35:17 AM by nord »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: ALR Museum Gunsmith: A. H. Chapin...Earlsville,NY Cost $16.00 in 1834
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 05:44:36 PM »
Terrific gun and provenance.  There was some mighty nice work done in NY in the 1830's-onward.
Andover, Vermont

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 06:47:34 PM »
The lock is marked "Steele & Warren/ Albany".
A light bulb just went off.  In the gunbuilding section in the thread on "Thoughts on Old Guns" I show a simple smoothbore.  In that thread, I said the lock is marked

Warranted
Steel
Albany

However, I went back and examined the lock on that gun.  It says
WARR (rest unreadable)
Steel  (rest unreadable but there is a partial character after the L)
Albany

I wonder exactly how the lock on this gun is marked and in what order.  I believe now that both locks are by the same  maker and how they are marked might indicate age.  Any thoughts?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:45:49 PM »
TOF:
  Vol. 4.  of the NYS Firearms Trade (Swinney/Rowe) cite that "Steele & Warren, Albany 1830-late 1838 or early 1839)"  were "...wholesale hardware dealers..."  The entry also states that there is "No evidence has turned up to indicate they made guns..."
   I would think there little doubt that your lock is a Steele & Warren lock.
Hope this helps.

Offline T*O*F

Re: ALR Museum Gunsmith: A. H. Chapin...Earlsville,NY Cost $16.00 in 1854
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 07:50:16 PM »
Steele & Warren, Albany 1830-late 1838 or early 1839)"  were "...wholesale hardware dealers..."

Steve,
I also found a listing for Warren & Steele, lockmakers.
What I was wondering is if the transposition of the names would be a mode for dating a lock, IF in fact they were stamped/engraved with the names in two different orders; ie
Steele & Warren
Warren & Steele
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: ALR Museum Gunsmith: A. H. Chapin...Earlsville,NY Cost $16.00 in 1854
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 03:51:28 AM »
A very nice rifle with great provenance. This one has all of the typical New York details one would expect in that period, fishbelly stock, and a single trigger made of brass. Nicely signed, too!