Author Topic: how to make hickory ramrod take a stain?  (Read 2289 times)

Offline wolf

how to make hickory ramrod take a stain?
« on: May 16, 2020, 06:35:52 PM »
over the years I have had problems staining a hickory ramrod. sometimes they take the stain but most times they don't. I stained one last night and went out this morning and it did not take the stain. what do you fellers do to make it take a stain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: how to make hickory ramrod take a stain?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 07:00:43 PM »
 I made a pipe capped on both ends with a tire valve on one end. Put the ram in , filled it with leather die , capped the ends and inflated it to 25psi.  I left the rod in there for about 2 weeks.  The die lasted about 2 months and it did not penetrate very far at all. GOOD luck.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 07:06:16 PM »
Do not over-sand the rod and do raise the grain only once. Then wash it with a scrub brush and water. Let it dry. Apply stain and it should penetrate. I use aquafortis only.
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 07:10:10 PM »
I sand the rod with the grain to 220 grit having already installed the rod tip.  I immediately apply Fiebing's leather dye (alcohol based) with a piece of lamb's skin (wool).  the rod takes the stain nicely, but isn't as dark as one might think it should be.  If you let it dry and re-apply, it'll be darker.  When that dries, I burnish it with 0000 steel wool, and re-apply.  then I wax it thoroughly with paste floor wax.  That's it...done.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline wolf

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 07:31:29 PM »
thank you fellers,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 08:07:44 PM »
   If all of the above advice fails get a bottle of mission brown Trans Tint dye, and wipe over your finished rod and then scrub it back to the color you want.   
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline wolf

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 08:43:37 PM »
well I tried aqua Fortis with heat, it worked perfect! turned it a nice golden brown. then I applied some chambers gun stock oil. it is drying now. thanks for all the suggestions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 08:52:39 PM »
I have a can, quart of Watco(I think) brand walnut stained Danish oil that I have used on hickory rods and it penetrates and really turns the rod dark brown. Let it dry for 3 days and repeat.

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 09:19:16 PM »
I would try this, sand to 220, stain with Fiebings alcohol based black, sand again with 220, then stain again with your choice of color of Fiebings alcohol based dye.  The black will accent the softer parts of the wood grain but still take the other color over it.   

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 11:48:34 PM »
I stained my last one with aquafortis (Ferric Nitrate crystals) and it colored up nicely.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 12:37:58 AM »
I used Fiefings Black on the hickory rod- about 1990.  This is the rod last fall, 29 years later, below the new red osage rod.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline flehto

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 02:09:07 PM »
I use 3 Dangler stains on the stock but only use the dark brown {final stain on the stock} on the RR and it takes 3 applications to equal the darkness of the stock. The RR was sanded w/ 220 grit prior to staining.....Fred 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 02:20:19 PM by flehto »

Offline JBJ

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 06:51:48 PM »
Jerrywh,
I think, if you pull a modest vacuum on the pipe dying vessel that you made, you will fine that the dye will penetrate deeper into the wood. The air in the wood pores will be vacuumed out as opposed to being under compression. As the air comes out of the wood, the dye replaces it. Of course, on dense woods like hickory and osage orange, you are going to get modest penetration compared to the oaks or ashes.
J.B.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 07:01:11 PM »
I’m still shocked people have trouble staining hickory. Stained this yesterday with my home brew iron saturated AQF.

It may be that water-based stains work best on hickory.
Andover, Vermont

Offline wolf

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 08:38:04 PM »
well I have another "hickory" rod I tried aqua Fortis on and it did not work! I am wondering if some of these rods they call hickory is something else? I have stained some ramrods that stained perfect. then some will take no stain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 05:21:53 AM »
I use potassium permangenate/water solution on my hickory ram rods. Goes on purple, turns a nice brown. It is necessary to repeat several times. It does tend to fade with time.

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 05:09:54 AM »
Jerrywh,
I think, if you pull a modest vacuum on the pipe dying vessel that you made, you will fine that the dye will penetrate deeper into the wood. The air in the wood pores will be vacuumed out as opposed to being under compression. As the air comes out of the wood, the dye replaces it. Of course, on dense woods like hickory and osage orange, you are going to get modest penetration compared to the oaks or ashes.
J.B.
Done both. I have a vacuum pump also.

Offline steven baker

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 11:48:07 AM »
Hi ,I just let my ramrods build up there own stain with use ,it gives it a natural look.I have in the past "toasted" a rod over a lpg gas flame .It suited me fine, take care Steven.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 02:37:47 PM »
Jerrywh,
J.B.
Done both. I have a vacuum pump also.
Oh, well. Works on getting Danish oil deep into wood duck call parts.
J.B.

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 09:12:32 PM »
Pressure or vacuum will stain them but in time they will fade. I have stained them black to simulate ebony but in use they don't stay that way very long.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 11:36:04 PM »
Fiebing’s leather dye or aqua fortis. Jerry