Author Topic: Horns and bugs  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Dave B

Horns and bugs
« on: May 23, 2020, 07:21:23 PM »
I never thought much of it but I dug out a horn I had in storage for a number of years and I got multiple bug holes started. None go clear through luckily,  but I ve got to be more careful with my storage of these. I have more in another storage box I need to check on now. I have never had a problem before now.  >:(.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline Brokennock

Re: Horns and bugs
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 11:00:01 PM »
That is a shame. Looks like a nice horn.
I've noticed, and others have said similar, that horns with powder in them don't seem to get attacked by bugs/worms.
I've also thought of giving them a spray down with permethrin.

Offline retired fella

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 12:10:25 AM »
I learned something today.  Forty plus years and no bugs but I have always had powder in my horns.   Hmmm.  Might be something to your statement Brokennock.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 12:52:50 AM »
 Raid.  I have 80 to 100 finished horns on had all the time and a pile/box full of raw. The finished wiped with a rag with Raid on it seems to have worked for many years, just spray the raw ones.

Tim C.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 12:57:42 AM »
Maybe it's the region I live in but have never seen this. What is eating on them? The "Muskrat" wants to know.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline flintlock hunter

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 01:38:08 AM »
This one has always been full of 4 f, so that does't stop the bugs. :(

Barry

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 09:05:09 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion of bug spray I hadn't thought of that. I remember some one talking about moth balls helping. I hate the smell of those
Dave Blaisdell

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 11:16:49 PM »
Once you get those critters in your shop or house, it is difficult to get rid of them, but I simply put a zip-lock bag with some moth balls in it on the shelf where I store my protein raw materials (horns, sinew, scalp locks) and the creepies disappeared.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 07:16:16 AM »
thanks Taylor.  The bag of Mothball in a ziplock I can live with. Buggs BEGONE!!!
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Mick C

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 07:17:52 PM »
Once you get those critters in your shop or house, it is difficult to get rid of them, but I simply put a zip-lock bag with some moth balls in it on the shelf where I store my protein raw materials (horns, sinew, scalp locks) and the creepies disappeared.

"scalp locks"???  On-my-goodness  :)

I have 3 horns, one I've had for many years, and thankfully no pug problems as yet.  I keep mine hanging on the wall in a conditioned room. Could that be helping, just having them out in the air?.....Mick
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 09:55:13 PM »

"scalp locks"???  On-my-goodness  :)

I have 3 horns, one I've had for many years, and thankfully no pug problems as yet.  I keep mine hanging on the wall in a conditioned room. Could that be helping, just having them out in the air?.....Mick

If I remember correctly someone on here said the best defense was frequent handling and use... Aside from that, having them out in the open is probably better than hanging in a cool dark closet or laying in a box or tote for months on end.

That reminds me... I have a few raw horns in a box I should check on and take steps to protect.

Mike

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 04:23:46 PM »
I agree with Mike. I have had the same horn for years hanging on a wall no problems.  Put it away in a tote and had bug holes within a season.  If I store a horn for a long time I put it in one of those big ziplock freezer bags if it will fit.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 11:27:32 PM »

Do you mean that sealed in a zip lock bag they still worked?  I have a box of mothballs, but the label scared me away from using them as the boxes in which I keep my horns are not air tight.   If they still have some benefit in a sealed bag, it might be safe to deploy them in my shop after all.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 01:08:06 AM »
 I do not mean to be flippant but if Raid works why not use it or some other bug replant?

Tim C.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 11:44:00 AM »
After a nasty bug infestation in my damp old apartment a couple years ago I ended up throwing out most of my horn scraps (followed by most of my leather, hide and finished products alike, when I discovered a mold problem while cleaning up after the bugs). Now all my horns, raw and finished, have their own individual ziplock bags that they live in when not in use.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 04:47:07 PM »
Again is this a regional issue? I have not experienced this or even seen it. What's chewing on them?
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 08:50:54 PM »
Again is this a regional issue? I have not experienced this or even seen it. What's chewing on them?

Dermistidae, aka Carpet Beetles. The adults look like tiny ladybugs, but they lay their eggs on animal parts and the grubs grow big and fat eating horn, hair, feathers, bone, and the like. Useful for cleaning up out in the wild, but a real problem for taxidermists and horners.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Mick C

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 12:08:12 AM »
I do not mean to be flippant but if Raid works why not use it or some other bug replant?

Tim C.

Thinking I agree with Tim.  Planning to coat mine with Raid just for good measure.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline tpr-tru

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 03:28:11 AM »
Drawing on days of storage of fly tying material (feathers, furs etc.) I was taught moth balls are deterrent.  Moth crystals eliminate  the intruders.   The necessary ingredient is para dicta chlorobenzene.   This is listed on moth crystals containers.  Check if listed in moth balls.

Offline hornturner

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 04:44:10 PM »
I have never been "comfortable" handling anything with poison on it, so I asked the internet a couple of questions about Raid.

First is Raid toxic to humans?  - Answer:  Yes, Raid roach spray can have detrimental effects on your respiratory health of you accidentally inhale it. The effects could be as simple as a  painful repeated cough or you can suffer mild poisoning that requires medical attention. Do not put your hands anywhere near your mouth or nose until you wash the residue off them.

Second how long does Raid last on a surface? - Answer:  Varied, but some say only two to four weeks.

So, I would ask myself "Why would I want to put something that might harm me on my horns, especially when with proper storage and handling I don't need to?

Always store horns with a stopper to keep the little critters from crawling inside.  My observation after handling many bug eaten old horns is they like to be undisturbed and tend to eat from the inside out if they can.  If you have powder in the horn, then through common sense you would presumably have to have a stopper.  Two, do not store horns in the dark, in an environment where any type of natural fiber material is near.  Such as cotton cloth, wool cloth, other clothing, wood fiber cardboard or wood boxes.

When you store horn away use an impermeable plastic bag such as a ziploc, or a plastic container like a rubber maid box or the like.  Also, keep the horn in a room with well-regulated temperature and humidity such as on the wall, on a table, etc.  If you do these simple things no toxics or chemicals are needed.  I have horns that have been stored in these manners for up to 64 years in my homes with no problems noted.

Hope these comments are helpful.

Art DeCamp

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 06:46:03 PM »
I have horns that I made 30 or more years ago and many more that I have made along the way.  We do have carpet beetles out here in So Cal and some of my raw horns have been attacked, so I know the bugs are around.  Many years ago I was refurbishing a cedar chest for my sister and used cedar oil to refresh the interior and restore what I have always believed was the natural bug repellant properties of cedar.  Personally I don't mind handling most chemicals, poisons, etc., (after all, the primary rocket propellants I use at work are mono methyl hydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide !!!) but just wiping my horns down with cedar oil every now and again seems to have made them un-appetizing enough to keep the bugs away.

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 10:48:45 PM »
I've had a couple horns get munched on despite having stoppers and being out in the open, so that isn't a silver bullet.

Offline Kary

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 11:43:36 PM »
I was told by a fella who made many, many horns that if you put a coat of wax or oil finish on the your horn, it will keep for years without the worry of being munched on. He also told me to put my raw horns in a bin or box and toss mothballs in with them... I’ve followed his suggestions and have had no issues in all the years I’ve made horns.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 11:46:04 PM »
I too have heard the carpet beetles prefer to lay their eggs inside a horn as it is a protected home.  Having powder in the horn means the stoppers are also in, preventing at least that method of attack.  Like Tim, I shoot bug poison spray inside all of my horns, stopping that avenue, and wipe the outside.  I do wash up immediately after spraying, and try not to get it on myself. 

If in a plastic tub, I'd spray something inside the tub, like Raid, and drop in some cedar blocks.  That Cedar Oil sounds very promising. 

It is disheartening to see horns damaged. 

I have read that freezing an item for two cycles (freeze/thaw) will kill the eggs. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2020, 11:47:48 PM »
Dave, rubbing a coat of brown BriWax on that horn might make those bug chomps look like intentional "antiquing".