Author Topic: Recovered Lead  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Zachary

Recovered Lead
« on: June 06, 2020, 04:25:50 AM »
I run a concrete crusher recycling concrete a good part of the summer. We recently did a pile that had some old building foundations in it. Sorted out a number of cast iron couplers still intact. Hit them with a hammer and bust them open and you can peel the lead out of the joint. I ended up with 60 pounds.

Offline Stoner creek

Re: Recovered Lead
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 04:30:31 AM »
Did any of it smell like !$@! when you melted it down?
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Zachary

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 04:51:06 AM »
A lot of it had some pitch or something on it that’s what you noticed the most. I did it outside and stayed up wind I didn’t want to breathe any of it.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 05:19:46 AM »
Lucky you.  Congrats.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 06:25:29 AM »
Years ago I was able to dig up many old cast iron gas pipes (some up to 16-inch diameter). The bell joints had a large amount of lead which was pure with oakum rope. Lead stunk to high heaven like old manufactured gas from the late 1800's to early 1900's. Ended trading all of it to a gun builder for parts and builds.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 12:35:26 PM »
Yeah it don't smell to well and I saw a lot of oakum as well.

Offline coupe

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 01:58:01 PM »
Got mine from a roofer, the old lead roof vents. You sure can be aware of the fumes that come off the melting chunks. You wouldn't think it would absorb or be coated with anything being in the sun and weather all the time but it has a smell about it for sure.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 06:31:12 PM »
I wonder if the cast balls would also have a distinct odor about them ::) ;D
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 07:39:02 PM »
Lead used to joint iron pipes is covered with solder.  The solder will alloy your lead and make it harder than really desireable for round balls.  So if you have a choice, save the coupling lead for your BPCR's, and find some pure lead for muzzle loading.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline 45-110

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 08:23:51 PM »
"Lead used to joint iron pipes is covered with solder"
Not generally true. In the 60's-70s the commercial plumbers my dad worked with used pure lead poured over the oakum. I never saw them add solder to the melt in the large propane pot. And all the lead ingots they gave us where dead soft.
kw

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 08:28:55 PM »
Then you are fortunate.  I have only taken one of these apart, and the plumber had used solder to finish the mend.  I stand corrected.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 01:42:53 AM »
The lead I've used over the years came from a bewildering variety of sources.  It's always Christmas when you find lead.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 03:25:48 AM »
I’m no lead expert at all but you can easily scratch this stuff with your fingernail. An older friend of mine used to work on old cast iron gas lines. He said they had real fine lead wire they’d pound into the joint and it’d melt as they pounded it in. Know idea how accurate all that is but the stuff I’ve found seems soft to my fingernails anyway.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 06:36:09 AM »
There be no melting as they pounded it, but soft lead would certainly 'flow' under percussion, to fill all available crevices.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline wolf

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 01:05:42 PM »
great find! I have a lot of lead. I have large bars that got put in race cars for weighting down one side. I just gave a 5 gal. bucket of WW to a friend. what I like most is the floor pans from old showers. I have 2 of them, they are 5x5 sheets of pure lead. plus I have a hill at home on my range I have been shooting into for 30 years.
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 11:52:09 PM »
I think I may still have about 500 pounds in Xray lead and a lot of them I cast in muffin moulds'and the rest are
in square blocks.Not sure what I will make from them right now.

Bob Roller

Offline horsetrader

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 04:51:27 AM »
What was used instead of pouring lead joints was lead wool. Looks like steel wool but is pure lead. I used it in the late 60's and 70's until lead joints went out of favor. The lead wool was pounded in the cast iron pipe hub over the oakum with the same tools used to drive the oakum in. When properly compressed it was just as solid as a poured joint.
Ed Radzinski

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 05:36:54 AM »
A friend of mine gave me about a 5 lb chunk of lead that had a wire loop in one end... Apparently it had been used as a weight for some kind of fishing setup... Trotline maybe.

I went to melt it down this afternoon and I was treated to the loveliest hot metal and lake mud smell coming out of the furnace.

But stinky or not, it's all in ingots now.

Mike

Offline Zachary

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 09:29:08 PM »
Horsetrader that must be what my friend was talking about. I’ve seen some of the rings that the one edge wasn’t quite solid you could tell it had been lead wool.