Author Topic: Youtube Black Powder TV Channel  (Read 2717 times)

Offline canadianml1

Youtube Black Powder TV Channel
« on: May 19, 2020, 11:52:00 PM »
I have not been able to contact Bob McBride because of difficulty with a Google 'name' problem. So I will thank him here for all his good work. He has done a great job of producing some of the best videos on Youtube for BP shooters.

As a ML builder for that past six years I have struggled with what it is that I am trying to achieve when putting together a gun/rifle and spending so very much time on each one. Bob's videos have shown me what I really admire in these old ML guns. It's not doing the the relief carving or the fancy inlays and engraving that give me so much satisfaction, it is the history and the architecture of a particular gun. The guns that he features and shoots are plain,simple but at the same time very interesting to me.

As a result of spending time on Bob's channel I have decided for my seventh project gun instead of getting into engraving and all the fancy stuff, I want to make a Soddy Daisy 36 cal. with as skinny a barrel as possible (straight or swamped?). If anyone has a drawing for same or details that might  help please contact me.

Bob did a great job on his Kibler smr and in preparation for putting together my own SMR I would really appreciate it if he would share with us how he managed to install a nose  cap on same as there is very little wood  onto which to mount it.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Youtube Black Powder TV Channel
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 01:40:00 AM »
You are going to have to make or pour a nose cap on a Kibler.  There is just not enough wood there for a commercially made one
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 02:24:39 AM »
I have not been able to contact Bob McBride because of difficulty with a Google 'name' problem. So I will thank him here for all his good work. He has done a great job of producing some of the best videos on Youtube for BP shooters.

As a ML builder for that past six years I have struggled with what it is that I am trying to achieve when putting together a gun/rifle and spending so very much time on each one. Bob's videos have shown me what I really admire in these old ML guns. It's not doing the the relief carving or the fancy inlays and engraving that give me so much satisfaction, it is the history and the architecture of a particular gun. The guns that he features and shoots are plain,simple but at the same time very interesting to me.

As a result of spending time on Bob's channel I have decided for my seventh project gun instead of getting into engraving and all the fancy stuff, I want to make a Soddy Daisy 36 cal. with as skinny a barrel as possible (straight or swamped?). If anyone has a drawing for same or details that might  help please contact me.

Bob did a great job on his Kibler smr and in preparation for putting together my own SMR I would really appreciate it if he would share with us how he managed to install a nose  cap on same as there is very little wood  onto which to mount it.

Thanks for the kind words. Feel free to contact me here via PM or email if you like. My personal email is on my profile. I think we have some Soddys in the museum and there should be a several on the search feature, but I am certainly willing to send you any detailed pics or measurements on mine, which is a bench copy of Jack Duprey’s original, and built by him.

As to the Kibler SMR nosecap, Dane is right, it has to be handmade from fairly thin sheet and form fitted to a very lightly inletted fore end. It was a two piece. Nothing very difficult, just time consuming and delicate. Easy peasy.

Thanks again, and if I can be of any help, holler.

Offline Fifty Four

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 03:21:17 AM »
Howdy, everybody. I love to read the ALR forums, but never post. Just wanted to take this opportunity to say I've been enjoying the heck out of Bob's Black Powder TV videos.  High quality and excellent information.  Many thanks to you all.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 03:26:16 AM »
Howdy, everybody. I love to read the ALR forums, but never post. Just wanted to take this opportunity to say I've been enjoying the heck out of Bob's Black Powder TV videos.  High quality and excellent information.  Many thanks to you all.

Thanks Fifty Four! I appreciare it! Pop a post on us every now and then! Welcome!

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 05:22:10 AM »
I have enjoyed watching. Been doing this since the 1960's and still picked up a thing or two!

Nice work Bob!
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 07:19:26 PM »
In Bob's videos he justifies obtaining yet another gun!!!!!!!!!! He does it better than I do. My wife doesn't know what she is in for....................new material to use!!

Thanks, I'm learnin'.

Grant

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 11:48:09 PM »
In Bob's videos he justifies obtaining yet another gun!!!!!!!!!! He does it better than I do. My wife doesn't know what she is in for....................new material to use!!

Thanks, I'm learnin'.

Grant

I accept no personal responsibility or liability for the hide you lose using my justifications....  ;D

Thanks Grant and Daniel!

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 12:05:07 AM »
Oh yes, I will be mentioning the source of all such ideas!!!!!!

Grant

Offline wolf

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 04:38:30 PM »
Bob has a good thing going! Bob my handle on youtube and the ML forum is "olskool" I watch all your videos and comment often,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 09:57:55 PM »
Bob has a good thing going! Bob my handle on youtube and the ML forum is "olskool" I watch all your videos and comment often,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hey Wolf! Glad to put the two names together and I enjoy all your comments on the videos. I appreciate it! Thanks!