General discussion > Antique Accoutrements

Small horn- Vintage or No?

(1/2) > >>

Oil Derek:
A friend dropped by and left this horn on my porch this morning. Don't know my horns and suspect that this is newer era, but thought I'd put it out here anyway.

If not vintage feel free to delete this post.

Almost 10" on long curve. Base plug is about 3 ½" and overhangs the horn. It appears to have been removed, the horn refaced, then put back in and re-nailed some time ago. I see evidence of a couple partial nail holes. It is not airtight.

Pictures speak better than I , and they are not great. Thanks fellas.

rich pierce:
Unlikely to be made before 1950. Color is one indicator. It’s rare to find an early horn that’s mostly black.

Top Jaw:
Ditto.  Black mottled horn color equals foreign import sources, of more recent manufacture, and usually thick and heavy.  Not a USA horn. 

Oil Derek:
Thank you Rich and Top Jaw.

Being reworked, I thought/hoped it might pre-date the import stuff. Doesn't seem like it would have been cost effective to do so.

G. Elsenbeck:
Agree with Topjaw, these are not USA horns.  More likely made in India, Pakistan, even Thailand now using the beast, Water Buffalo.  They are extremely heavy with absolutely no variations in the design from either the horn or the base plug.  Cost importers like a buck each and then pass them off as antiques on Ebay.  But, they are good for the trap range.  Think 'pull'. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version