Author Topic: Small horn- Vintage or No?  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Oil Derek

Small horn- Vintage or No?
« on: May 24, 2020, 05:02:08 AM »
A friend dropped by and left this horn on my porch this morning. Don't know my horns and suspect that this is newer era, but thought I'd put it out here anyway.

If not vintage feel free to delete this post.

Almost 10" on long curve. Base plug is about 3 ½" and overhangs the horn. It appears to have been removed, the horn refaced, then put back in and re-nailed some time ago. I see evidence of a couple partial nail holes. It is not airtight.

Pictures speak better than I , and they are not great. Thanks fellas.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Small horn- Vintage or No?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 05:30:09 AM »
Unlikely to be made before 1950. Color is one indicator. It’s rare to find an early horn that’s mostly black.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 01:40:23 PM »
Ditto.  Black mottled horn color equals foreign import sources, of more recent manufacture, and usually thick and heavy.  Not a USA horn. 

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 04:46:31 PM »
Thank you Rich and Top Jaw.

Being reworked, I thought/hoped it might pre-date the import stuff. Doesn't seem like it would have been cost effective to do so.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 02:58:13 PM »
Agree with Topjaw, these are not USA horns.  More likely made in India, Pakistan, even Thailand now using the beast, Water Buffalo.  They are extremely heavy with absolutely no variations in the design from either the horn or the base plug.  Cost importers like a buck each and then pass them off as antiques on Ebay.  But, they are good for the trap range.  Think 'pull'. 
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 03:43:32 AM »
It an import from India. Most of them are thick as a brick and heavy. Occasionally you will find one of these horns that they forgot to clean out the core.

Hungry Horse