Author Topic: KY Pistol  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
KY Pistol
« on: May 25, 2020, 02:09:44 AM »
I am posting these photos for Dick Gadler.    He will provide the details later.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: KY Pistol
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 03:13:35 AM »
This gun turned up at our local 'Tijuana' gun show here in the southland. It is an original, flint pistol with no barrel marks of any kind. The lock is marked 'Heston' and is almost certainly English. Near as I can tell this pistol was made in Philadelphia by John Miles who was English but settled in Philly with his son about 1790. Jim Whisker shows an identified gun on page 107 of his book on "Kentucky Pistols' that has a number of similar features as this one, though it is walnut stocked. Miles went on to make military pistols for the states, VA being among those. He died in 1810, leaving his son to carry on the business.
Dick   

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 04:06:35 AM »
That must have surprised  the heck out of you when  that little darling showed up there.  That"s  a very pleasing pistol . Plus I'm a sucker for a brass barrel.
JIM

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 03:51:29 AM »
Thanky kindley, Jim. appreciate the comments. Yes, it was a huge surprise and added to that I was in a fog and it took me three passes by the table to actually see what it was that I was looking at. I didn't pay a huge price for it either which is always satisfying. Same fellow had a fine flapped holster for an 1851 navy Colt for $80. I bought both items and went home happy, but a bit poorer. This show isn't hugely productive, but once in a great while...  Last good find there years ago was a VA Manufactory, 1815 rifle gun.
Thanks again,
Dick

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 05:28:41 AM »
Thank you for sharing this nice pistol with us.