Author Topic: ALR Musuem Gunmaker: Hess "Family" ....attributed. Lehigh Area, PA  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Another fine Lehigh area gunmaking family.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6214.0

Please post you comments as a "reply' here.
Hurricane
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:27:52 PM by hurricane »

Offline Dan'l 1946

Re: ALR Musuem Gunmaker: Hess "Family" ....attributed. Lehigh Area, PA
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 03:38:34 AM »
I'm certainly not an expert on the Hess family, but that is an interesting rifle. The stock was chosen not only for its beauty, but for strength as well.

While plain, it is neatly made in all aspects and seems to have been made as a percussion rifle. Not sure what the marks or "dimples" are around the lock--is it possible to get a closer photo?

It appears to be a nice quality "workingman's" gun and it's good to see one in such fine condition. Thanks for the opportunity to view it.  Dan

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:03:05 AM »
Pretty much a classic Hess rifle, though late. Who knows without close exam, but my impression is original percussion. Probably Thomas Hess. I've owned one in pristine condition in original flint and it was very much the same. Except for a flush Lancaster looking sideplate and the flintlock of course.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 10:15:27 AM »
This is an atributed Hess rifle by Tim When I was back at the KRA show year befor last. It has some similarities to yours. The lock is a replacement The rifle was flint at one time I believe.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 09:22:18 PM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 06:17:59 PM »
Recently Ron Gabel pointed out to me the "open" fore end cap on a Lehigh rifle and said  it was very specific for a particular Family of makers. I do not recall which family but likely "Hess"   ???
Hurricane

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 08:16:01 PM »
The Hess family is generally considered Allameangel school , but that could be splitting hairs. Most Lehigh rifles have open nose caps but usually with a grove for the ramrod.

When you get closer to eastern Berks co. or the Allameangel school you often lose the ramrod grove but still have the open end as pictured here.

Bucks co. caps are also often open but shorter in length.