Author Topic: WHAT exactly is this?  (Read 24644 times)

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: WHAT exactly is this?
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2009, 06:52:53 PM »
Just noticed the closeups of the back of the lock.  It looks like at one point in its life, the "ledge" on the back of the cock was built above its original level to realign the stopping position against the plate.    This is often associated with early lock repairs where the cock was replaced with a piece from another lock - see Hamilton's "Colonial Frontier Guns" - there is a whole series of photos showing these types of repairs.  Even on fine guns, the goose neck of the cock was a weak point prone to breakage. It could also just indicate that the mainspring (or tumbler for that matter) was replaced and the toe that rides against the tumbler now sat in a different position, necessitating building up the ledge to allow it to stop in the right place.

In either case, these types of early repairs usually indicate a period repair rather than a reconversion, so in my mind it detracts nothing from the appeal of the piece - instead, it sort of enhances it a bit as it shows more history.  If the cock was replaced we are lucky the mainspring did not bust out through the bottom of the lock mortice - we would not have this fine piece to study today if that had happened.

Guy
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:34:34 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline alex e.

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2009, 07:46:15 PM »
Has anyone commented on the front sight.To me, it looks like it was installed backwards?

Alex....
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2009, 08:14:22 PM »
Has anyone commented on the front sight.To me, it looks like it was installed backwards?

Alex....

It's more of a bead on a base than a blade. Looks like the standing part tapers both off the front and back about the same.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2009, 09:55:30 PM »
The front sight looks to me like it has been altered some time after it was installed with it being more of a blade type of sight from the maker then filed to more of bead some time later.   Hugh
H.T.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2009, 03:29:05 PM »
Pretty standard early front sight for an English fowling gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?