Author Topic: Mystery lock  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Mystery lock
« on: May 27, 2020, 04:02:31 AM »
       A friend brought this lock into the shop this evening and asked if I knew what it was...I could not answer his question other than to surmise that it was on some type of military musket.  I would love to hear anything you can tell me about this big old lock.  Love the wood block to strengthen the frizzen spring...Thanks for your input
Ron

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline lexington1

Re: Mystery lock
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 04:10:56 AM »
It looks like a dead ringer for the lock on my 1766 French musket, although a lot of those French musket locks looked very similar.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:42:29 AM by lexington1 »

Offline lexington1

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 04:48:06 AM »
Here is the lock from my 1766 musket. It was made at Maubeuge ( I think I spelled that right ).

Offline lexington1

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 07:43:36 AM »
Here's another Maubeuge lock for comparison.

That's pretty neat!

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 01:38:03 PM »
       Thanks guys, it looks like the mystery has been solved.   The friend who brought the lock in also works in my shop building his own guns, so is a developing builder and collector.  One of his associates at his work place brought the lock in and asked what he could tell about it, and then sold it to him for a pittance.  The lock was found in an old house---now if they can just find the rest of the gun---
Thanks again,
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 02:41:06 PM »
Your friend should change his name to "Lucky" as well. An American made lock from this early period is rare and more desirable that any French musket lock.
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 06:12:41 PM »
Here is another one in a used up colonial musket with a Confederate conversion to percussion.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 05:40:56 PM »
 A friend of mine bought a French musket at a gun show some years ago that was obviously built from a variety of French musket parts. It’s lock is like the ones pictured, and the plate is marked Maubeuge, but the pan is brass like the later 1777’s but shaped like the 1763’s. I’ve not seen another with this feature.

Hungry Horse