Author Topic: Canadian Buffalo Powder Horn  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Notchy Bob

Canadian Buffalo Powder Horn
« on: August 25, 2020, 06:22:47 AM »
I found this interesting horn while browsing the collections database of the National Museums of Scotland:

I thought at first the two holes near the carved tip might be insect damage, but now I believe there might have been a staple, originally.  There appear to be some subtle facets carved or scraped in the upper body of the horn, starting right below the carved spout but gradually fading out toward the base, which adds a nice artistic touch.  A flathead wood screw is in the base plug, for securing the carrying strap.  The butt plug itself looks like some variety of softwood to me.

This horn doesn't look very old... Either that, or somebody took really good care of it.  The horn was reportedly listed in a catalogue published in 1979, so it's at least that old.  They were also a little vague about exactly where it came from.  Here's the description:  Powder flask of carved bison horn, the wooden stopper carved with the initials 'J.B.': North America, Canada, Saskatchewan, Alberta or Manitoba, Athabaskan

I thought it was an interesting and nice-looking horn, regardless.  Here is a link to the NMS webpage:  Powder Flask of Carved Bison Horn

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Canadian Buffalo Powder Horn
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 04:26:11 AM »
Very interesting. Definitely staple holes. Love the facets. this one'll give some of our horners here some ideas. I'm familiar with Athabascan culture growing up in Alaska but I wouldn't have associated powder horns with them for some reason. Very cool. Thanks for posting.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 07:06:31 AM »
V nice horn.
More recent, as Alberta and Sask. were part of the North West territories, not named at such when horns were in regular use.

Richard.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 02:43:07 PM »
V nice horn.
More recent, as Alberta and Sask. were part of the North West territories, not named at such when horns were in regular use.

Richard.
I don’t think any of that is carved on the horn. Just ‘JB”
Psalms 144