Author Topic: lenght of pull?  (Read 2685 times)

jgc

lenght of pull?
« on: June 01, 2020, 03:22:29 AM »

I'm in the market for a new flintlock. I've seen some very nice ones, but the 13- 13 1/2" LOP stops me. I'm 5-11" and like a 15" LOP in my skeet guns. I've been shooting a T/C Hawkens which is around 14. Does drop at the heel change this?  I need some advice.

Online Stoner creek

Re: lenght of pull?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 03:30:34 AM »
Depends on the amount of drop. Generally, most of these guns do not have an excessive amount of drop in the heel. I’m 6’4” and shoot a 13 3/8” pull comfortably and never shoot a rifle with more than 14” pull. We’re all made differently of course.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 04:19:33 AM »
If I had a nickel for everyone that says they need a 15" pull length... well, I wouldn't be rich, but I'd have a big sack full of nickels.   :P
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 04:30:07 AM »
I think the torque of the wrist is what people who like the longer length of pull are trying to avoid. I’m 6’ and a 14” lop is most comfortable for me but a 13.5” is fine.

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 04:56:08 AM »
I think the torque of the wrist is what people who like the longer length of pull are trying to avoid. I’m 6’ and a 14” lop is most comfortable for me but a 13.5” is fine.
Torque? What do you mean torque?
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 05:08:08 AM »
Torque? What do you mean torque?

I’ve heard from some new shooters that on a rifle with a shorter LOP, ie. 13.5”, when they try to hold the wrist with all their fingers fully wrapped they have an uncomfortable ‘torque’ their wrists. The longer LOP allows them to hold that way, the way they are used to holding with a modern shaped stock. If that makes any sense.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 05:11:39 AM »
We recently had a thread on the subject.  Search it out.

I am 5'11" 230# with large arms and shoulders.  I used to like about 14 3/8 on shot guns and scoped rifles.  I now prefer a bit shorter.  I think as I have gotten older I am less flexible and an am less able to comfortably shoot guns that don't fit me. For off hand shooting in HP competition I shoot the shortest stock I can get, here in California we can not use telescoping stocks or I'd go shorter.

Long rifles are a whole different thing.  They are made to shoot off hand.  They are very weight forward.  You want a shorter stock to bring the center of gravity closer to your left hand.  . I shortened the stock on my primary match-target cap lock three times.  It is now the same length as my Kibler SMR.  The SMR is about perfect for me now.

A TC Hawken has a s very short barrel as MLs go.  The stock is also shaped like a modern stock.  IT is not a good yardstick for a longrifle stock.

"they try to hold the wrist with all their fingers fully wrapped"  Tell them to stop it.  I mostly use my thumb on top to keep position and index finger to presses toward my thumb.  The remaining fingers do little.  Any tension is a very bad thing for accuracy.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 05:17:35 AM by Scota4570 »

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 05:24:37 AM »

"they try to hold the wrist with all their fingers fully wrapped"  Tell them to stop it.  I mostly use my thumb on top to keep position and index finger to presses toward my thumb.  The remaining fingers do little.  Any tension is a very bad thing for accuracy.

Exactly. That’s what I’m talking about. It’s typically new shooters who think they need a 15” LOP, and I’m pretty sure it’s because of the way they hold the wrist.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 05:26:11 AM »
How you mount the gun might have an effect on your prefered LOP. Do you mount the gun with butt in the pocket, on the shoulder, or on the arm? Your LOP numbers might be different with each style of mount.

jgc

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 09:43:02 PM »
This gives me a lot to think about. My hold is in the pocket of my shoulder. I won't worry about LOP that much. thanks for the information.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 10:26:44 PM »
I'm between 5'4" and 5'5" and have always specified a 13" lop.  But the last rifle I had built has an lop of 12.5" and feels even better, especially when hunting in cold weather clothes.  14" would definitely be too much for me but a bit over 13" likely would not be a problem.  Most of my hunting has been in the Deep South where hunting seasons are very mild; no super short lop is needed there.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 02:32:32 AM »
Iam 5,11 I prefer 13.5 inch pull or less.  Built rifles for guys 6ft 4 that thought they needed more. I ended up cutting them back to 13.5.  And they liked them better. I would about refuse to build one more than 13.5 LOP.  Just my opinion. 
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 02:58:18 AM »
I know guys that are 6'4" tall and like a 13 1/2" pull.  I was converted to 13 1/2 after shooting 14 1/2 for 30 years.  I should have listened 30 years before.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 03:30:48 AM »
I have always been successful in convincing people who think they need a 15" pull length otherwise with guns I made for them.  13 1/2" is pretty well universally good, unless you're really small of stature.

I personally like a little bit longer, like 13 3/4", but it's not that huge a deal (I'm fairly tall with REALLY LONG arms).  There's no way I could even handle one at 15"...it would hang up bad in my armpit.  I really don't think arm length is the big factor anyway.  The comb line and cheekpiece are MUCH more important, and have to be just so.  I am a cheekpiece fanatic.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 04:17:29 AM »
The first 2 guns that I had made it asked for 15" pull. I quit shooting the last one in 1986. I tried something reasonable after that. Never went back to that long pull stuff.....
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 03:28:41 PM »
I recall Gary Brumfield's old flintlock he made for himself had a 15" length of pull, and as I'm only 5' 10", I could hardly get it to my shoulder....hung up all the time.

I do like about 14" though, but less on a rifle is fine.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 04:31:09 PM »
JGC

Consider looking at this video where a rifle with an original shape is dicussed as far as "pocket of shoulder" is concerned. How we hold our rifles affects what pull range we might find best. Forget the TC "Hawken" as a reference point.  And you may want to re-consider just how you hold the old-style guns, especially more authentic ones.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:03:11 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline David G

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 09:02:25 PM »
This gives me a lot to think about. My hold is in the pocket of my shoulder. I won't worry about LOP that much. thanks for the information.
I would, LOP is important. I can hold a gun much more comfortable and comfortable longer with my specific LOP which is 13 1/2. I would try find a gun with a LOP around that and shoulder it to see how it feels. There is a specific measurement for you that will feel most natural  when the gun is shouldered. The trigger finger should come into the guard right where it is suppose to without feeling any unnecessary strain or tension.

Offline little joe

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 10:35:34 PM »
I,m 5ft 7in tall and prefer 13 to 13 1/2 pull Years ago a shooter with a 12and 1/2 pull ,and I asked if that wasn,t short and he commented learn to shoot a short  pull and and you will be a better shooter. He had the targets to back this up.