Author Topic: Your Height vs Preferred L.O.P.  (Read 11495 times)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Your Height vs Preferred L.O.P.
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2020, 06:11:34 PM »
For all you fellows noticing height differences over time.  I submit that your span didn't change and that has more direct bearing on your fit than your height ever did.

Albeit not the subject here, it seems related.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2020, 06:35:03 PM »
Wade,'
Good point and I agree.
Some of us have crippled up hands these days, and back /neck and shoulders in constant knots, and that maybe leads us to a shorter LOP  being more comfortable.
Lack of movement affects us more than height I think.

Richard.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2020, 07:35:55 PM »
I think the op was looking to see if there was a co-relation between height and lop.  Those of us who posted our 'best before' heights are doing so out of nostalgia ...  ie, I wasn't always this diminutive!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline stretchman

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2020, 12:57:07 AM »
What length of pull do I prefer? Thats a great question. Im 6’8”.  I have never had a rifle that fit properly until nearly twenty years ago when I ordered a C Sharps 74 for bpcs competition.  After years of stocks that were to short the 15.5” length of pull never seamed normal.  Wish that I had ordered the rifle with a standard length of pull. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2020, 01:18:41 AM »
I have an acquaintance who is now 85 years old, and is also 6'8" tall.  In the 70's he commissioned two Hawken rifles from me, a percussion and a flint.  he insisted on 16" of pull length, and I built them.  I sold the percussion rifle for him but had to re-build it to fit a guy who is 6' tall, and he loves the rifle now.  The flint rifle remains at original length, but I know before I can sell it, I'll have to commit to cutting it down.  Sam says his rifles are "adult size".  And in his hands, they look normal.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline stretchman

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2020, 02:45:43 AM »
Would love to see what a Hawken with a 16” lop looks like.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2020, 06:40:07 AM »

Re-worked cap lock to 14" pull. The front triggers don't quite line up.
The felt line on the patch box locates the 14" Length Of Pull on the Flinter.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 06:55:39 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2020, 09:38:28 PM »
I started at 6' 1" and probably 5' 10" now. I still like a 14.5" LOP. I have long monkey arms.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2020, 11:32:03 PM »
I think the op was looking to see if there was a co-relation between height and lop.  Those of us who posted our 'best before' heights are doing so out of nostalgia ...  ie, I wasn't always this diminutive!
There isn't.  Instead of your height and arm length, post your height and shirt size.  That tells the tale.  If you remember DaVinci's diagram of a man in a circle, you will know that if you lay on the ground, spread your arms straight out, then measure from finger tip to finger tip, that distance will be your height.

Obviously, the smaller your shirt size, the larger your body trunk will be, or vice-versa.  I was 6' tall and wear a 42 long shirt with an 18" neck.  If you wear a smaller shirt than that, then your body is obviously wide and you will require a shorter length of pull.  Once again, it's the fireplug vs. the string bean syndrome that determines it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2020, 01:04:57 AM »
Most all sleaves are too short for my monkey arms.

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2020, 05:38:38 PM »
There isn't.  Instead of your height and arm length, post your height and shirt size.  That tells the tale.  If you remember DaVinci's diagram of a man in a circle, you will know that if you lay on the ground, spread your arms straight out, then measure from finger tip to finger tip, that distance will be your height.

Obviously, the smaller your shirt size, the larger your body trunk will be, or vice-versa.  I was 6' tall and wear a 42 long shirt with an 18" neck.  If you wear a smaller shirt than that, then your body is obviously wide and you will require a shorter length of pull.  Once again, it's the fireplug vs. the string bean syndrome that determines it.

Well said, It's all about wing span, not height!
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline craigos

• Starting Member
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2020, 09:00:09 AM »
in a 40 13 3/4 to 14 is fine, for the bigger guns 50 and larger 14 to 14 1/8 -- i am 6'3". I shoot 15" lop for my sporting clays gun but for my rifles i like them more snug.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2020, 01:00:34 PM »
There's another thread on this over in gun building and between both threads a lot of guy contributed.
Although my mediocrity as a gun builder has kept me in Pecatonica or Chambers components, I never took a tape measure to pull length.

I want to get down on the cheekpiece and feel solid on my upper arm so I don't twist the gun. 

I shoot well if I concentrate and don't close my eyes or flinch.

Somehow, I don't remember anybody from my battalion in Uncle Sams Misguided Children asking the D.I. ..."SIR! Can you guys shorten the pull on my M-14?  It don't feel right and I need between 13 and 14 inches.  SIR!"  I was on my way to a perfect score until some Looey came over and adjusted my sitting position and I threw a round into the dirt about twenty yards in front of the target.  "That's well, son, That's well." 

Thanks, Putz

Offline RJD-VT

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2020, 05:12:06 PM »
Wade,'
Good point and I agree.
Some of us have crippled up hands these days, and back /neck and shoulders in constant knots, and that maybe leads us to a shorter LOP  being more comfortable.
Lack of movement affects us more than height I think.

Richard.

Richard nailed my condition perfectly. I had an odd form of arthritis in each shoulder complete with nerve damage, surgeries, pt etc...
When I was young and healthy, 14 inch lop was fine. Now the shorter the better, as long as recoil doesn’t make my thumb punch me in the nose.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2020, 01:32:37 AM »
At about 5'4" (close to 5'5" if I'm pressed absolutely flat against the wall) I do well with 13" lop and that's what most of mine measure.  But the last time I got a flintlock I specified a 12.5" lop.  While 13" was excellent, 12.5" was perfect.  Being from Georgia originally it was rare to need much in the way of heavy clothing during the season.  T-shirts would sometimes do just fine.  Now I live in Maine and heavier clothes are often the rule.  But not always.  Last season was a good example.  I'm light framed and don't have a lot of bulk to reach around with my arms.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2020, 01:04:25 PM »
Hanshi...I'm light framed and don't have a lot of bulk to reach around with my arms.

Go ahead and capture the core issue in this whole thread, why don't ya?

The closest thing to the simple answer yet.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2020, 06:24:54 AM »
5’ 7” and 13.5” or so.

Offline david58

• Starting Member
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2020, 08:23:05 AM »
6'2" with long arms.  14.5-15" pull

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2020, 07:45:28 PM »
At 5'10" I find anything between 13-14" to be just fine.
Psalms 144

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2020, 03:12:08 PM »
Wade...I submit that your span didn't change and that has more direct bearing on your fit than your height ever did.

Leather workers are taught to never let thread length exceed their span...distance from one palm to the other with both arms outstretched.  That's for control.

I noticed that, when starting to shoot Little Fellers from Chambers, the tighter 13" pull enabled me to control the muzzle a little more.  Anybody else shoot different lengths and finding that out?

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2020, 05:21:53 PM »
Too short doesn't work for me. It puts my nose against my thumb. So, I have to move my thumb to the side and that doesn't feel natural.

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2020, 07:33:55 PM »
I am about 5'6", and very thin.  I think the amount of "meat on your bones" may affect your preferred length of pull, too, but that's just a theory.  I prefer something in the 13-1/4" to 13-1/2" range, when not wearing a heavy coat.

I think the amount of drop and castoff may be almost as important.  If I shoulder a stock with more than about 3" of drop, I have to hunt for the front sight.

I have handled a few old English percussion doubles.  The builders knew stock geometry... Those guns point like a dream!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2020, 07:48:29 PM »
A lot of drop bangs your cheek with recoil too. I'm not a fan.

Offline rkrcpa

• Starting Member
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2020, 01:09:56 AM »
It appears that a lot of companies offering muzzle loader kits need to reduce the length of pull on their kits by at least a half inch. Would make their guns a lot more comfortable to shoot.

I'm 6'3" with a 20" neck and 36/37 inch sleeve with a somewhat severe slope to my shoulder. I need all the length I can get and would much rather cut down a stock than need to add an inch or two. Don't even get me started on drop at face.

Manufacturers would do well to accommodate as many customers as possible. Some of us make it more challenging for them.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2020, 07:46:04 PM »
A lot of drop bangs your cheek with recoil too. I'm not a fan.

A comb angle that slopes up at the front, down to a low heel, whacks the cheek bone as any recoil, even a little .45, brings the comb into the cheek bone. Just a little bump, but every
time the gun is shot.  The "bumps" add up to a sore cheek bone after a number of shots.  A flat or fairly flat comb with a higher heel in comparison to the low heel, high comb, does not
do that which is typical of the Jaeger and English Sporting rifles along with some Penn. rifles, especially the earlier ones.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 09:29:59 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V