Author Topic: Curly Maple Pistol Stock...Missing Barrel and Lock  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Curly Maple Pistol Stock...Missing Barrel and Lock
« on: June 04, 2020, 06:52:12 AM »
I recently picked up a good quality, curly maple pistol stock that someone had removed the lock and barrel from. Barrel channel is 9-1/4" long and cut for octagonal barrel. Tang mortise is 3-1/2" with two screws and a rounded tip, and sits on a flattened area that runs completely around the butt and upward on the inside for the rear extension of the guard. Pipes are brass with entry pipe made in two pieces with small pointed flange. Guard is nicely forged iron with spear-point front extension. Note the fancy trigger with the "C" scroll decoration; trigger is pinned in the stock wood. Lock bolt washer is a "tear drop" pointed downward. Brass nose cap is attached with two small rivets, one on either side.

I would appreciate your comments on where this pistol was most likely made. I have my thoughts, but would enjoy hearing yours. The barrel still exists, but reportedly has been "repurposed" and is not available.

Shelby Gallien

« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:17:43 PM by Tanselman »

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Re: Curly Maple Pistol Stock...Missing Barrel and Lock
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 12:31:22 PM »
Very Southern.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 01:54:24 PM »
It looks like it would have been a beautiful pistol, shame someone was so inconsiderate to have parted it out.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 04:16:10 PM »
Shelby thats a neat pistol .  I have no strong feelings about where it was made. But I do hope that who ever used the barrel didn't know the stock existed... I know of people who took their gun apart and hid in various places. Something like that may have happened here...?  Lp

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 06:38:46 PM »
It's a shame that someone robbed parts off that pistol, sure would be great to find them somewhere!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 07:47:46 PM »
From information I got from the stock's prior owner, I think both the barrel and lock are still around. The antique stock had a modern ramrod [too large for pipes] tightly stuck in stock, so I think the pistol was "complete" until rather recently. I was able to wiggle the oversized ramrod out without damaging pipes or stock...but it was stuck so tightly that it might have been part of the reason the working parts were removed...I'm guessing they were restocked onto a new stock that the owner could shoot.

I have made a significant standing offer for both barrel and lock, "if they ever become available." I'm hoping the money offer might make them less "unavailable." To add fuel to the fire, the seller recalled that the barrel was signed, and had two names, both with a first initial, somewhat in Tennessee fashion...maker and owner...which is where I think the pistol most likely came from. It was originally found in northern Indiana at an estate sale...but its life since then is "fuzzy."  Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:12:46 PM by Tanselman »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 10:44:45 PM »
 Do the Two pipes match? I'm thinking the rear was a later addition, the flat plate being the original. Just a thought.

Tim

Offline Bill Wilde

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 03:36:25 AM »
I saw this on E-Bay and thought it was a great pistol. Hoping the seller has the lock and barrel available for you! Congrats!!!

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 05:14:40 AM »
Tim,  the front pipe is slightly longer than the rear or entry pipe, but they both have same diameter and same ring at each end. Rear is a two piece pipe soldered together, looks all original to me. I am still wondering why anyone would dismantle this pistol and use parts elsewhere, unless not knowledgeable about antique guns and more into shooting parts-guns.  Shelby
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:16:30 PM by Tanselman »

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 05:33:32 AM »
Neat ol pistol. Could be owner did it to be able to sell on ebay. We know that story. I also hope you can get the orig. parts.
I have a pistol build underway that is going to end up with a similar style stock, maybe I build it along these lines. I like it well enough
Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 03:17:08 PM »
It looks like it would have been a beautiful pistol, shame someone was so inconsiderate to have parted it out.

Probably the same oaf that took a nearly pristine Colt 1851 pistol and
had it chrome plated by an equally oafish friend that worked in a local
factory that made car bumpers back in "the day" >:(

Bob Roller