Author Topic: Greetings! Black Powder question  (Read 8439 times)

Offline yulzari

Re: Greetings! Black Powder question
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2020, 12:06:01 PM »

Here's another tidbit:  Clean with water (consider tow and worm in the place of patches/jag).  Not hot water, not warm water-just water.  Water is the perfect solvent for black powder residue and using anything else often leads to issues.  Heated water often results in flash rusting-which fails to occur with cold water. 
[/quote]
I thoroughly agree. That was the advice from the 19th century best English gunmakers. Simply clean black powder with cold water. Nothing else is needed. I have gone from all sorts of 'stuff' to just cold water and tow in muzzleloaders. Water should be free and tow is almost everlasting if washed afterwards, dried and carded.
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2020, 02:33:36 PM »
...  Good thing I have 7 months to get this sorted out.

By liquid lube, I'm guessing alcohol swabs, water or spit?

Thlayli, with seven months to sort things out, you could search and read up most all the regular debates and advice already written extensively about here in this forum, rather than asking every single new question out loud.  That is the beautiful thing about a forum. It can be used like an encyclopedia (if you recall what those were).  It's quite possible to come to good answers without ever posting a word.

As to your proposed combo, it depends.  It depends on the exact bore measurement, on how the patch was measured-some don't measure out what they are labeled. Balls tend to be fairly consistent though. Many say that swaged balls don't give as good accuracy as cast balls. (multiple reasons for that-just make a note). 

If you think you can show up at the range with one patch thickness, one ball size, and one charge amount and get your best load--you've not read enough. It is possible, but not likely.  The process takes a minute, but is fun stuff. 

Do the crown smoothing that Daryl shows for better loading, also don't reach way up the shaft of the rammer, doing so can snap the stick and impale your hand.  Short strokes.

Hold to the Wind

Offline alacran

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2020, 03:02:09 PM »
The last three words of Daryl's last post, are the most important of this whole thread. Targets,targets,targets.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2020, 03:17:28 AM »
The last three words of Daryl's last post, are the most important of this whole thread. Targets,targets,targets.

Yep, I missed that one. Not much research needed when D answers your general inquiry. 
Hold to the Wind

Thlayli

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2020, 08:42:33 PM »
Wade you just reiterated another person's reiteration of someone else's post.  Seems a little inconsistent with your stance on superfluous posts. 

I've done a fair amount of searches/reading of old threads on this and other message boards.  I don't see the harm of asking questions in an introductory thread.   

Offline Daryl

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2020, 11:08:05 PM »
Don't take offense, please. Wade is just trying to help.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Thlayli

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2020, 11:25:14 PM »
You're right and he's right; and I will try to lurk more and post less. 

After this one last question, that is, I really haven't seen too much on this subject:  Does a patchbox weaken the stock, to the point where a crack or split is more likely?  The stocks on the Southern and Tennessee rifles are fairly slender.

Offline alacran

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2020, 03:53:42 PM »
With wood anything is possible.   In the Rifles of Colonial America (RCA) books, I don't recall any photos of cracks developing  on account of a patch box.  However I have seen a lot of  cracked toes on Southern Mountain Rifles and Hawkens.
Mostly what happens with a patch box is that the lid or the inlays around the box will become ill fitting.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2020, 06:34:17 PM »
Check back in 200 years. :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2020, 05:36:30 AM »
With wood anything is possible.   In the Rifles of Colonial America (RCA) books, I don't recall any photos of cracks developing  on account of a patch box.  However I have seen a lot of  cracked toes on Southern Mountain Rifles and Hawkens.
Mostly what happens with a patch box is that the lid or the inlays around the box will become ill fitting.

Exactly.
Daryl

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2020, 06:22:50 AM »
I like Old Eynsford best of all.

Thlayli

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2020, 06:15:30 PM »
Hey!  Shot my first flintlock yesterday, a Dixie poor boy I got off of gunbroker.  Thanks again for all the tips. Black Powder Maniacs, TV, and the Bye book had me ready to go.  One shot sparked but didn’t fire. I remembered from this thread the advice:  Wait!   Good advice. 

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2020, 06:56:41 AM »
Thlayli,
Welcome to the addiction! I’m pretty sure black powder smoke is more addictive than crack!

Nice rifle to start with. You still have the TVM on the way?

As has been oft discussed on this forum, keep track of your load development. Change one variable at a time. Powder charge. Patch thickness. Lubricant. Ball size. Work up your best group.

My second BP rifle was a TVM similar to the one you ordered, though I got the Siler instead of the Ketland lock. Wish I’d gotten the Ketland just for esthetics. But the Siler functions very well. She likes 70 grains of 3F Goex, .o18-.020 patch, spit for lube at the range, mink oil in the woods, and .490 ball. I use pillow tick patches.

Don’t go by submission to the Dec postal match - my off hand is horrible! Tight groups at 50 yards from a steady rest!

Paul

Thlayli

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2020, 07:14:26 PM »
Thlayli,
Welcome to the addiction! I’m pretty sure black powder smoke is more addictive than crack!

Nice rifle to start with. You still have the TVM on the way?

As has been oft discussed on this forum, keep track of your load development. Change one variable at a time. Powder charge. Patch thickness. Lubricant. Ball size. Work up your best group.

My second BP rifle was a TVM similar to the one you ordered, though I got the Siler instead of the Ketland lock. Wish I’d gotten the Ketland just for esthetics. But the Siler functions very well. She likes 70 grains of 3F Goex, .o18-.020 patch, spit for lube at the range, mink oil in the woods, and .490 ball. I use pillow tick patches.

Don’t go by submission to the Dec postal match - my off hand is horrible! Tight groups at 50 yards from a steady rest!

Paul

Yes sir, the TVM Southern is still in the pipeline.  I used spit, pillow ticking, and .490 rb.  Shot 12 rounds, didn't need to swab or anything.  I dfon't have a scale at home, but I'd guess the Dixie rifle is  12 lbs, it seems really heavy.  But very happy with it otherwise. 

I dropped the lock in a bucket of soapy water just like in BP Maniac's video.  Father-in-law said I can't believe you're doing that.  Cleaned up real nice.  I'd go back to the range this afternoon, but its a little fresh out, about 18 degrees.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2020, 10:17:59 PM »
Hi Thlayli. A suggestion, you do not need soap - just cool to cold water and a toothbrush for the lock.
As there is never any fouling inside my locks, I clean the outside only, with water and brush.  Some moisture
gets into the spring and tumbler area but is easily blown off, then sprayed copiously with WD40, shaken off
then wiped and replaced on the rifle.  Once a year I lubricated the locks contact points with moly grease.  This
stays for the year through many cleanings.
18F is -7 C. Not too bad, but now for us old folks, a bit too chilly for shooting now.
Daryl