Author Topic: Need Help Identifying Percussion Rifle  (Read 2130 times)

Offline 44-henry

Need Help Identifying Percussion Rifle
« on: June 05, 2020, 10:20:20 PM »
Just brought this home from a local gunship and could use some help identifying it. The specs are 31 3/4 barrel tapers from 1.125 at breech to 1.032 at the muzzle. It is 55 caliber smooth, though my guess was that it was originally rifled. Lock appears to be a Leman based on remnants of their peculiar stamp, though the area it would have been marked is pretty much gone with cap erosion. Stock is plane maple with some remnants of faux striping.

I am wondering if it could have come out of the Leman factory, perhaps a Conostoga. There are features that don't seem quite right for that, but I know they did make a lot of variations. It is in nice shape for its age and appears mostly untouched except for the copper washer under the hammer screw. The ramrod even looks like it could be original. I thought it was neat and the price was right. Look forward to your thoughts.

create image url

« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:46:11 PM by 44-henry »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Need Help Identifying Percussion Rifle Leman Lock
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 10:34:51 PM »
Could be from one of the western PA high production facilities too.  Great Western and such.  Pretty large caliber utilitarian rifle. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 11:52:50 PM »
          It likely had a much longer barrel, considering that there is now only one RR pipe and the transition to the muzzle cap is rather abrupt.   The trigger looks to be way far forward in relationship to the lock sear bar.     Just some quick thoughts..Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 06:17:47 AM »
It probably was shortened at some point. I think the trigger is original. The guard would obviously support double triggers, but the trigger plate looks to be original and there is no indication it ever had anything but the single trigger. Probably just a lower price option.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Need Help Identifying Percussion Rifle
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 10:49:23 PM »
 Leman did produce smooth rifles in this era. I know of one in a collection that is half stocked with a smoothbored barrel of around .45 caliber. This gun however is marked on its barrel with the Leman stamp, and on the barrel flat  to the left of the top flat with the letters H.E.L.

Hungry Horse

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 04:43:57 AM »
          It likely had a much longer barrel, considering that there is now only one RR pipe and the transition to the muzzle cap is rather abrupt.

There's also the tapered barrel.  The original barrel may have been swamped.  Cutting it off at the waist would leave a tapered barrel.

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 10:26:55 PM »
Perhaps the bore was cleaned up to smooth when it was lopped off.

Have you had the bbl out? Might be some hidden clues under there.

Thanks for sharing, and  good pics
Hold to the Wind

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 05:52:46 AM »
I haven't had a chance to take it down yet. At some point I will make a replacement for the missing tumbler screw, but that will probably have to wait until fall. I will post more pictures when I get it taken down.