Author Topic: Old Bait horn - Antique?  (Read 2042 times)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Old Bait horn - Antique?
« on: June 05, 2020, 10:53:36 PM »
I came around this piece recently and recognized it as a bait/cricket/grasshopper horn,,,,,,,,,,,,I think.  I was highly interested how the original maker put this together while on the surface you would think of its' simplicity for the look, but after studying this for a time I became puzzled about the purpose of the 'spout' end.   The only I can think of was to provide an 'air chamber' for whatever he/she put into it.  As for its' construction, the spout end was built first in order to determine where to put the slot for the sliding 'door' to open and close.  It does not remove, there is some 'stop' built into the 'wooden wall'.  Very interesting piece.  Likewise the sliding door at the base end is tapered and not removable.  It moves just enough to stuff the critter into the horn with a hole about 3/4" in diameter.  Hopefully all the pictures come through well.  This is only about 4 1/2" long.

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Matt58

• Starting Member
Re: Old Bait horn - Antique?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 02:08:31 AM »
I wouldn't think that would work too well with crickets. The hole in the spout looks pretty small. Maybe for a small supply of salt? I have no clue...

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 02:52:48 AM »
 I think its a snuff horn. Even the amber color of the horn tends to point me in that direction. The later addition of the commercially made boot lace material puzzles me though. It could have been used for a lot of different things over the years.

Hungry Horse

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 04:41:39 PM »
That is really interesting.  It does not look like bait horns I have seen, but that does not mean much because I have only seen one of two.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline Kevin

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 08:23:08 PM »
Hello All,

I toss another thought into the mix.  Might it be a bee box for bee hunting?

I've seen photos of old bee boxes with two spaces/chambers in them.  They have all been of wood but maybe someone made one utilzing a horn?

Food for thought,
Kevin

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 08:43:47 PM »
Hello All,

I toss another thought into the mix.  Might it be a bee box for bee hunting?

I've seen photos of old bee boxes with two spaces/chambers in them.  They have all been of wood but maybe someone made one utilzing a horn?

Food for thought,
Kevin

That's a neat idea. 

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 02:10:53 PM »
I'm intrigued by this horn and it's use......What is bee hunting and why would you hunt for bees?
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 05:04:15 PM »
This explains bee hunting, and a section on bee boxes is about 2/3 of the way down.

https://www.uaex.edu/farm-ranch/special-programs/beekeeping/beeliner.aspx

Dale H

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 09:37:10 PM »
I'm intrigued by this horn and it's use......What is bee hunting and why would you hunt for bees?

Bees make honey and honey is good.  Also, it was done to replenish hives that were kept.  Keep in mind honey bees are not indigenous to North America they were brought over just like livestock.

Cory Joe Stewart