Author Topic: Thanks for taking the time  (Read 1490 times)

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
Thanks for taking the time
« on: June 06, 2020, 02:37:49 PM »
To all who viewed my posts of four Springfield M1795, thanks for your interest. You can see all of these four muskets in my article Flintlock Musket Evolution at Springfield Armory Part One, in Man at Arms Magazine, Vol 39 No. 6, December 2017. Additionally, all four are discussed in great depth, with many more photos, in my book, which Dennis Glazener kindly posted in the Recent Books section of this forum.

Up next for your intellectual curiosity, the 1812 Standard Pattern aka the Model 1812.

"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: Thanks for taking the time
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 04:31:49 PM »
Thanks for posting all this stuff. Very interesting.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline jaeren

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 09:48:05 PM »
I have an ancestor who served in the war of 1812. However he was in in 1815 and was given a land grant for his service. Not sure which musket he would have been issued the top one is my guess or maybe something made earlier and issued out of stock. In fact going back from there till now I've found descendants in each of the major wars. Still trying to go back further but I've hit a block .

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 10:05:16 PM »
Thanks for posting these. My earliest memory of anything to do with guns is "helping" my father wipe down and oil his muskets, at about eight years old. The first real gun (not a BB gun) that I ever shot was an original Tower flintlock Sea Service pistol, at nine years old. 
Your posts have rekindled my interest in military arms, after detouring into longrifles for several decades.
-Joe Stein

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 10:58:08 PM »
Ordnance Dept policy and prior to 1816 The Purveyor of Supplies, was to issue older weapons first.

Militia units received arms from the various contractors while the Regular Army received muskets from the two National Armories.

PS Glad that you all find some of this interesting.

Kent
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 12:53:55 AM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964